Russia and China

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iE7Kb9_zgVGsmapW-PfUkX2UU8cg?docId=CNG.c46ea94f63545ac6610804385744d47b.511

The New York Post reported on June 14 that Kraft had told a US audience that he had once met Putin in 2005 and showed him the $25,000 ring team players and owners are awarded for winning the US football league final.

Kraft said that Putin took the ring in his hands and then slipped it in his pocket after first joking that "I could kill someone with this ring."

"I put out my hand (to take the ring back) and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked away," he said using the acronym for the Soviet secret service to refer to Putin's security detail.

Putin's official spokesman dismissed the story last weekend by saying that he was personally witness to Kraft giving the Russian leader the ring as a present.

Putin himself was unexpectedly asked about the incident for the first time by the US moderator of his appearance at a Saint Petersburg forum with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"You know, I do not remember either Mr. Kraft or the ring," Putin said.

"They handed out some sorts of souvenirs. But if it is such a valuable thing to Mr. Kraft and his team, I have a proposal," said Putin.

"We will ask our enterprises to craft a really good, noticeable thing -- so it is clear that it is expensive, made of a good metal, with a rock -- so that this jewel is passed on from generation to generation in the team whose interests Mr. Kraft represents.

"I think that this would be the most intelligent... solution to such a difficult international problem," Putin said with a hint of a smile.

Putin, they best and worst supervillain ever.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Putin took in Snowden with open arms and Hong Kong let him go because of Beijings effect on them.Only the start .Hong Kong is afraid of China.There is no reason that HK other than that would let him go.

riser

Illustrious
Interesting that he chooses to flee to China/HK and Russia to get away from the US Gov't.

New speculation is that he was a spy. He was on the job 3 months, took a BUNCH of data, and fled. I was somewhat on his side until he started releasing classified documents that didn't pertain to US Citizens.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What is a mystery to me how can a high school dropout get a essential security job like he did?I hope the U.S. gets him eventually and he goes to prison for at least 70 years what he did to jeopardize this country and it's citizens.

This whole thing is a clusterfuck!

Really, a slippery slope. We could go back to Bush, Clinton, Carter, Kennedy if you want. The blame really lies within us, the American people. We allow the government to scare us into surveilance programs. We allow high school drop-out look at our most peronal information. We allow guys like Snowden to go about their ways and tell the world what we do as a nation.

The blame lies within the American people. Who do you fear most? Terrorists of the Beureaucracy? Do we allow our fellow Americans to be put in harms way so we don't have an intrusive government, or do we allow things like the USA PATRIOT ACT, Homeland Security, TSA, and the NSA to happen so we can live peacfully?

riser

Illustrious

Marv, in the world of computers and IT, it isn't the person with a degree that gets the job. It is the person who can do the job. I've been in IT my entire life. I think I met one person who has a Master's Degree and were good at their job. The vast majority of people I work with are either drop outs, high school diploma, some have 2 year degrees like myself, and a few have four year degrees.

In IT, if you can do the job, you get the job. The security clearance is checking simple things, such as that you do not have anything in your background that someone can blackmail you, you haven't traveled to foreign sensitive countries, you're an honest person, etc. The background check for a security clearance isn't exactly stellar, but even our own gov't realizes that they can't do anything to you until you've commited a crime. Snowden's backgruond was clean, his family worked for the gov't, everything lined up. He decided to steal information and jeapordize his family's life and jobs.

riser

Illustrious

But we knew about this from 2006. US Controls the internet. Our embassies have very advanced 'spy' equipment on them. At least I heard the US gov't was only able to decode 2% of what it captures based on very selective algorithms. The selective targeting is an issue because someone had to pick out and order that. When he released info about the US spying on the Russian pres, that's where he lost me. Every country does that. Now, if he released something on select AP reports being targeted, or US citizens being unnecessarily targeted, then I would be on board.

The US gov't has very long arms when it comes to anything traveling over the lines. Mass catching and decoding wasn't a huge deal to me. I actually knew the guy who started Project Carnivore back in 1997-1998. I grew up with him. After a couple years it was shut down... only because a better version with a different name was created.. thus old version is shut down.

I don't mind the mass scanning.. the intentional targeting is what bothers me.

riser

Illustrious

Did you know that the vast majority of Microsoft and Google employees are high school drop outs? Did you know both companies also do not have drug testing policies?

riser

Illustrious
They don't have a way to filter it out so they have to store it all. They don't know what they don't know and in such cases, they'll take everything. This one I know well. When you don't know, collect it all.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You can thanks Bush Senior for starting this crap and than advance to Obama making it worse.

I did not. However, I learned this Fall that Boeing has a technical training program for High School Gruaduates and GED's Heard it pays well more tham min wage.

If these kids are being paid more than I am, why am I pursuing a degree anyways? Seems like a waste of time. Thoughts?

North Dakota is itching like a mosquito bite for welders. I think it has to do with Keysone XL Pipeline.

riser

Illustrious

Engineers are trained to think a certain way. It's more of an elite group of thinking than anything else. That's the the title engineer earns you. In IT, you have System Administrators and System Engineers. Big difference between being an administrator and an engineer. The thinking process is completely different.

You don't need a degree to be financially successful. That's the biggest lie being told to the younger generations. While places want degrees, it's more of an ideaology than anything else. My father worked in a nuclear power plant with a high school diploma. When he retired, they were bringing in people with college degrees and he had to spend his last few years training them. The degree was unnecessary as someone still had to train them.

What happened to being an apprentice in a job role and learning it that way? Now we cookie cut everyone through colleges and universities and expect them to perform. No one is there to really help them.

Look like exercising. You get a personal trainer who customizes a workout for you, not everyone. It works great because of the individual time spent.

Working in IT, you advance through the fields and have to put the time in. You don't leave college and make $100k a year with a degree. You have to work the trenches to get a real understanding before you can move up.

For your engineering degree (Which is it? mechanical, conrtols, civil, electrical, etc.) you'll be an intern, they'll give you work, and after a year or two of being an intern you might get hired on as an E1. In a year or two, you might advance up to an E2. By the time you're in your mid to late 30s, you might be an E5 or E6. My buddy is a control engineer and amazing at his job. He was an E6 in his late 30s, while in his 40s he has moved into project management. He has his run of the mill local college degree that he was able to pay off quickly. I think he knocked down $140k two years ago. Might break $100k this year. He's also seen a lot of his coworkers laid off because of the line of work. They don't tell you that engineers get laid off a lot, especially in this economy for the last 10 years or so.

riser

Illustrious
On the topic of Russia and China, I'd like to say that the US is nearly done decomissioning 19,000 nuclear war heads from Russia and converting it into low grade uranium used for nuclear power plants.

What a waste. We could burn it with Thorium Fluoride and get WAY more energy per kilogram. Either that, harvest the Plutonium 238 that was building up to send out another NASA project or sell it for a shyte load of money. We have a shortage of P-238 rigth now and China, Russia, and India are iching for the crap. We are too but our space progeam is gutted at the moment. Another thing the warheads have: Tritium and Helium-3. Both are essential for nuclear fusion. Give that to researchers to create an experimental reactor. Worth a try, I mean, free matter for us.

riser

Illustrious
P-238 degrades. The US a few months back just started making it again for other projects. it glows red/white hot, bet you didn't know that :)

The Space Program today is actually shutting down their 2008 New Ion drive. It ran for 5 years, non stop, and still have PLENTY of fuel left to while putting out the same thrust for 5 years. It ran for 48,000 hours non stop, continous output, and only used 800 kilograms of fuel.

I know about P-238. 87.7 half life riser. High decay rate, not short like most highly active elements. It does not degrade, it decays.
Bet you didn't know that. :)

I did not know that they were shutting down the ion drive. So many missed opportunites for our nation!

The reduction of weapons grade material into fuel rods was / is an ambitious and admirable project for the post cold-war administrations, and France? and the US should both be commended for their efforts to decommission these on behalf of the planet.

Controlling these sorts of materials is a bit of a thankless task but I hope the NNSA get some credit for their work.

Since nobody else is going to thank them anytime soon then we should.

Thanks guys !!

Keep on keeping the lid on that stuff ... its nasty and we don't want it thanks.

:)

What is you oppinon on LFTR techonlogy?