Would it be possible to run a gaming PC for mid to high range games with a VMware LAN server in the background on this build?

Heroguy294

Honorable
May 7, 2013
I want to be able to play games like DayZ, call of duty, and other things like PS2 Emulators. It doesn't have to be extremely high graphics. Graphics don't matter that much to me. I want to be able to run a VMware server that has a DayZ server in it with 5 player slots, which I just want to use for LAN play, for mostly me and maybe my brother or a couple friends.

Here is the build I'm looking at:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

Hard drives (I already have these, I might buy another if needed):
1st hard drive: Unknown 1.5TB 5400 RPM Sata 6 Gb/s HDD (My dad bought this for me awhile back. I don't know what brand it is)

2nd HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

3rd HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM (I took this out of a WD elements 3TB external hard drive. I damaged it trying to get it out, it only reads as 754.48 GB)

4th HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10JPVT 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (I am going to OC this to 1866Mhz. I probably will buy a couple more of these in the future. If needed I'll get 16GB of ram from the start.)

Mobo: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (I'm going to get this in a combo from microcenter with the 8 core processor.)

PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (I'm going to put a couple of screaming delta fans in this later on so I have more overclocking capability.)

I'm probably going to go with Ubuntu Linux with the Lightweight desktop enviroment for the OS.

Keep in mind, I want to be able to run a small server in the background while playing the game on the same computer. Would this be possible with this build? I'm going to get the CPU cooler and put in better fans, then overclock the CPU as much as it can handle. I'm also going to get some fans for the case with better airflow.

Also, I'm sorry if This is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post this, since I'm new.

jokyteddy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
No graphics card? I don't think FX 8320 has integrated graphics so you'll need a graphics card.
I'd suggest the GTX 660: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130825
16GB ram would be a good idea since you're running a server in the background.
I might be wrong but I don't think those games natively support linux environment. Neither is it a good idea to run games on VMware since you get reduced performance. I would still go with Windows for gaming.

Heroguy294

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Whoops, I didn't realize I didn't include that. My original plan was to go with the Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 1GB, since it seems to be good performance for around $150, which is roughly in my price range. Would this bottleneck anything?

Also, I was going to attempt to use WINE. I've got some experience with it. If it doesn't work out, I'll cough up some money and dual boot windows.

The games I chose don't natively support linux, but I like Linux better than windows, plus, at least in my experience, most things can be made to work with Linux, it just takes some configuring and messing with stuff until it works.

jokyteddy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
A GTX 650 Ti Boost is sufficient for your needs but I would throw in an extra $30 and get the GTX 660. It's quite a bit better than the 650 Ti Boost, gives you about 5-8 more fps.
I've been trying to use CXEx Central (wine 1.3.9) to make game wrappers for Mac OS X (Unix environment) but 7/10 times it doesn't work. Either it's missing textures or audio or messed up keyboard/ mouse input.

Heroguy294

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Thanks for the info. I can't really afford the 660, I'm already at my budget limit as it is. I'm going to try to OC everything I can to make up for the performance gap.

Is there any way I can figure out the size of the Graphics card i'm going with? I don't want to buy this card and find out it doesn't fit in my case. I'm going with the HAF 922 instead of the HAF 912 because the HAF 912 couldn't fit a 12 inch graphics card with the HDD cage in there, and I figure that the one I'm getting will be bigger.

Also, I did some research and my first hard drive is a "Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive" which is better than what I thought it was.

jokyteddy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Here's the dimensions for the Galaxy GTX 650 Ti Boost: 8.46" x 4.37" x 1.51" so I'm sure you can fit it in the HAF 912 (10.6" space for the graphics card). Get a 7200 RPM hard drive instead of a 5900 RPM one, the difference is there.