CHKDSK.exe and the MS-DOS 5 bug

Eryka

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
CHKDSK replaced "invalid security id with default security id" on XP and now I cannot use Safe Mode or System Restore or copy, move, backup or print any files. There is a hotfix available for this problem at Microsoft but no clarity about what it might achieve [or do]. Has anyone used this hotfix? Can anyone recommend possible solutions please?

Look in C:\windows\system32\config to see the date of the file security.sav. If it's within the last month or so, make a copy of it then rename the file security to security.old. Next, rename the copy of security.sav you made - just delete the .sav to call it security. Restart the computer and see if that helped - if it didn't everything you did is reversible. Post back and let us know how it went.

Eryka

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Thank you Saga Lout. In C:\windows\system32\config there were 2 files with word security [both upper case if that means anything?] both dated today. One SECURITY.LOG and one SECURITY [no file type] 72Kb. [Gentle sobbing!]

If I was fixing this one myself I would use a Linux operating system, running as a LiveCD to copy the personal files out of there and on to an external disk. Then I would create a new User Account, call it Fred or something and log into it for the purpose of deleting your account. If you have the facility to download a Linux OS and also download and use ImgBurn to make a bootable CD, go to http://www.pclinuxos.com - PCLinuxOS is easy to use - the filing cabinet icon at the bottom of the screen opens Dolphin - a sort of Windows Explorer - and in the left hand pane of that will be your hard disk.

Eryka

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hello Saga Lout, Thank you very much for your reply which gave me the confidence to take this poor goosed machine to a computer doctor! Your comments helped me to feel a little less helpless in the circs. So my files have been saved and my next step was to be to try out your solution by myself - but the machine won't permit creation of new accounts, or installation of any software. All thanks to the faulty Chkdsk facility which has corrupted a lot of files [including Windows Installer]. When updates for xp cease next April there will be loads of people left with vulnerable machines and not enough spare cash to get Windows 8 - or daunted by having to learn a system designed for a smartphone. I love the idea of Linux - it sounds very ethical and worth trying. Thank you for your help.