Paranoid that I damaged my day-old i7 4770k from high temperatures

Ryan Weil

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hey guys. A day ago I build my new computer with an i7 4770k. I have never overclocked before, and my first attempt was 4.6ghz with a 1.327(somewhere around that) vcore. The computer booted up fine, so I decided to run Prime 95. I did a torture test for 45 minutes, and my max temp was 93. Then, I found out how dangerously high that was, and have been worried that I damaged my new cpu during that 45 minute stress test. I have an h100i liquid water cooler too. PLEASE ANSWER ASAP!

JSJ

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Lower your O/C and voltage back to normal and then do the torture test. If it's fubar'd then you'll know it's bad, if it does fine with stock speed/voltage then your CPU is still good. Good Luck!

cmi86

Distinguished
Learn how to properly overclock before actually doing it. You don't shoot right for 4.6 especially on a brand new architecture that has received more than it's fair share of flak for really high temps. You didn't ruin your CPU, it would throttle it's self or shut down before damage.

Ryan Weil

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, well before I did that crappy over clock, I had tried to do it to 4.7ghz and some other screwed up settings. My computer wouldn't even boot' so I had to clear CMOS. That reset my bios and hopefully didn't change any thing that would prevent throttling(if its even possible?). This morning I got a seemingly stable over clock at 4.4ghz and 1.25 voltage I believe. My temps on prime 95 are a little below 80c. Is that stable?

CraftyPC

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I'm running a 4770k at 4.2GHz and I was getting around 60-70 degrees. Not too bad, I'm thinking of pushing it to 4.5GHz, but I'm using an H60 so I'm thinking of upgrading to an H100i soon. However, keep in mind that upping the voltage increases temps, as well as OC'ing. And since your using an H100i, I would expect your temps to be better, is the H100i secured well and making good contact with the CPU?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Using an h80i on mine. 4.3Ghz @ 1.237 volts. Just not quite stable at 1.2 volts, I have considered lowering it a bit more to see if it will handle it.

If you can offer enough of a workload it will spike up to 80C, whenever my computer seems to move a lot of stuff around in memory I see it bump up from around 65C under gaming load to 80C for about 2 seconds and then back down. If you leave it running a stress test it just sits at 80+ degrees, which I really don't like, but seems to be normal.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4770k_12.html#sect0

G

If you damaged your chip you would have known it with errors occurring. (Throttling / Auto shut down will most diffidently occur before then) When overclocking you are reducing the life span but my a marginal amount. If you keep getting high temps even after reducing the OC, max those fans and if nothing else if might be faulty unit (The H100i).

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Ideally shoot for around 60C for you temp underload, this leaves some room for extra unexpected heat, and cpus also perform better at lower speeds, so even though it may be a couple 100Mhz slower, it will still perform faster. also its not worth the extra small performance boost (5% ish) to push your cpu into the high danger high temperature ranges. keep your hardware/money safe while still getting performance.

Chris Tregoning

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

im running an i7-4770k at 4.6g and 1.71 volts stable at 32c on h100i

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I can only assume that is at idle, and that voltage is ridiculously high to reach 4.6Ghz.

I can reach 4.5Ghz on 1.35 volts, but temps shoot up to 100C under a full load which makes it unworkable. I am considering delidding so I can keep a reasonable 24/7 overclock at 4.4 or 4.5Ghz