Homebuilt system - Boot Loop

molsonbeers

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi All,

I built a new desktop approximately 6 months ago and have recently begun having problems with it. At first when playing games (D3, Marvel Heroes, Neverwinter) I would experience complete lock ups. The system would be completely frozen, and I would have to reset or hardboot. I still tend to experience lockups but now when restarting, rebooting, or turning on my desktop I have the luxury or being stuck in a boot loop. Sometimes it will try 2, 3, or 4 times and then load into Windows whereas other times it will be stuck until I unplug it.

So far to correct the issue I've run Memtest86 on both sticks of RAM seperately with no errors, updated my GPU and motherboard drivers but I'm still having the same issues. I've also unplugged and disconnected my power supply and reconnected everything. And to eliminate heat issues I've opened the side panel and placed a large fan beside the case to blast air through the case.

Below are my system specs. I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to correct this issue.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Hawk 1GB
Case Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
OS Windows 7 Ultimate Home Edition

Jay

-Run Memtest86 with both memory modules installed (dual channel mode). Running them alone (or in single channel mode) is fine, but confirm all is good with both installed.
-Depending on the age of your SSD, there may be an update for it. Crucial is showing a firmware update released two months ago.
-Hit MSI's web site and check for MB / chipset updates.
-Are you overclocked at all, or is that 3570k at the stock 3.4GHz?
-Can you run for at least an hour with Prime95 (100% CPU usage and full heat buildup)?

molsonbeers

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Ok will do, I didnt think to do the Memtest in dual channel mode. I'll have a look for the SSD update as well and perform that. I think my motherboard is up to date and I'm 75% sure i'm not overclocked. I could reset the CMOS to be sure but I'm not 100% sure what will happen when I do that.

I can try Prime95 but I havent had much luck staying stable for an hour yet. My other thought was to breadboard it. I've heard in some cases there can be a short if the motherboard is touching the case so I thought to try that as well as reseating my CPU with a new application of thermal paste.