Closed

AMD Working on Drivers to Fix Micro-Stutter in CrossFire

AMD has tweeted that it is working on drivers that should fix the micro-stutter problems experienced on systems with multi-GPU setups.

AMD Working on Drivers to Fix Micro-Stutter in CrossFire : Read more
45 answers Last reply
More about amd working drivers fix micro stutter crossfire
  1. Old news but thanks anyway!
  2. Only about a decade late. :)
  3. Does this effect dual cards like the 6990?
  4. I hope they actually do something with this. I love AMD, but they really need to fix their driver issues.
  5. this generation of cards is nearly 2 years old, and they FINALLY got around to fixing it. smh. better late than never i suppose. i pity amd fans that went the dual gpu route over nvidias.
  6. I wonder how this would affect mid-level cards on CrossfireX, like those CFX-ed 7770s in Youtube vids.
  7. TOOO Late! I finally got sick of trying to run a tri-fire system (5970+5879) smoothly on tough titles. The tri-fire worked pretty well on games that didn't require lots of graphics muscle (Borderlands2 and Bioshock infinite) but on really demanding titles (Metro 2033 or last light or BF3, I had to disable it and just let the 5970 do all the work at high quality but no eye candy (low AA and AF). It almost seemed more of a gimmick with AMD cards and less functional. So now I have 2 NVIDIA GTX 780s in SLI and I'll never go back. BTW the AMD cards were H2O cooled but not overclocked cuz that seemed to make the stuttering worse. Can't wait to void the warranty on those 780s though.
  8. I wonder how this would affect mid-level cards on CrossfireX, like those CFX-ed 7770s in Youtube vids.
  9. About time.

BTW the comment up/down votes do not work AT ALL now
  10. Built-in dual GPU's don't exhibit micro-stutter. So, in the case of the 6990 and the like, no. Crossfire performance is still expected to increase, however. As a dual 6870 user, this is LONG overdue.
  11. brandonjclark said:
    Built-in dual GPU's don't exhibit micro-stutter. So, in the case of the 6990 and the like, no. Crossfire performance is still expected to increase, however. As a dual 6870 user, this is LONG overdue.

Actually I think they do have MS to some extent even on a single dual-gpu card.
  12. This is why i buy Nvidia and pay more
  13. what's been taking them so long to address this issue?....this has been happening for a very long time
  14. Awesome! Now fix the issue with the Audio not working through the HDMI!
  15. uhm the "never stutter" bundle.
  16. why cant you also fix your sites commenting system? AMD is fising their driver issues, now you should fix your site issues.
  17. brandonjclark said:
    Built-in dual GPU's don't exhibit micro-stutter. So, in the case of the 6990 and the like, no. Crossfire performance is still expected to increase, however. As a dual 6870 user, this is LONG overdue.

Why not? Dual gpu still work exactly two separate cards in sli or cf. Also this fix most likely for 7k users. So non 7k users don't put too high expectation the fix will include their card
  18. renz496 said:
    brandonjclark said:

Why not? Dual gpu still work exactly two separate cards in sli or cf. Also this fix most likely for 7k users. So non 7k users don't put too high expectation the fix will include their card

They stated on twitter that it applies to that card. Also lol the replies on that twitter post.
  19. Great news
  20. brandonjclark said:

wrong, dual gpu cards do experience micro-stutter exactly the same as 2 separate cards do. So in the case of the 6990, yes it does have micro-stutter. As a former 6850 crossfire user i'm so glad i sold them a month after i got the second one, would have had to wait all this time for a "maybe" fix, even now i have my doubts as this has been noted since they first introduced crossfire. Will not buy another one of their cards. Nvidia seem to be very prompt to fix any issues with their drivers, although there are rarely any problems with them.
  21. I have 7870 CF and it feels just as smooth to me as when I had one card. Maybe I am just one of those people that can't notice it.
  22. A little bit too late?
  23. NVidia is not perfect....they have their issues too...just not as many

iam2thecrowe said:
    brandonjclark said:

wrong, dual gpu cards do experience micro-stutter exactly the same as 2 separate cards do. So in the case of the 6990, yes it does have micro-stutter. As a former 6850 crossfire user i'm so glad i sold them a month after i got the second one, would have had to wait all this time for a "maybe" fix, even now i have my doubts as this has been noted since they first introduced crossfire. Will not buy another one of their cards. Nvidia seem to be very prompt to fix any issues with their drivers, although there are rarely any problems with them.
  24. it's about time even though old news.
    Radeon hired two or three guys away from nVidia last year so maybe this is a result of what's to come.
  25. ROFLMAO, AMD has been doing the memory Management Re-Write for Months, we knew about this driver in January.
  26. ibn gozzy said:
    TOOO Late! I finally got sick of trying to run a tri-fire system (5970+5879) smoothly on tough titles. The tri-fire worked pretty well on games that didn't require lots of graphics muscle (Borderlands2 and Bioshock infinite) but on really demanding titles (Metro 2033 or last light or BF3, I had to disable it and just let the 5970 do all the work at high quality but no eye candy (low AA and AF). It almost seemed more of a gimmick with AMD cards and less functional. So now I have 2 NVIDIA GTX 780s in SLI and I'll never go back. BTW the AMD cards were H2O cooled but not overclocked cuz that seemed to make the stuttering worse. Can't wait to void the warranty on those 780s though.

The problem with your setup isn't the cards it's the user. A setup were a single card can render a frame in nearly half the time will always have issues, CF and SLI are meant to use equal cards. The Nvidia setup works better because both cards have the same performance.
  27. bhaberle said:
    Does this effect dual cards like the 6990?

Yes it does, as you can see by the 7990 review:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-13.html
  28. brandonjclark said:

The 7990 does, so I'd expect the 6990 as well.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-13.html
  29. bhaberle said:
    Does this effect dual cards like the 6990?

Yes it does effect dual-GPUs, not quite as badly though thanks to a lower latency PLX bridge instead of an Xfire connector.
  30. Old news? Perhaps, however this isn't the only website releasing an update on this today. I'd take this as confirmation of the 31st July release.
  31. Please! I've been so patient for over a year now running two HD5850's! PLEASE!!!!! THX!
  32. But their cards are so much cheaper and therefore better what does it matter that the drivers are rubbish! :lol:
  33. Mousemonkey said:
    But their cards are so much cheaper and therefore better what does it matter that the drivers are rubbish! :lol:

I wouldn't say rubbish. I haven't had any significant problems.

Less stable then Nvidia? Perhaps
    Absolute junk? Certainly not.
  34. Then why is their working on drivers worthy of a news story? Face the facts dude the drivers are not good despite what you want to think because if they were so stellar then there would be no need to fix anything because nothing would be broken, would it?
  35. Never said the crossfire is not broken. I always recommend NVidia to anyone considering multi-GPU setups.

But many single card users don't have any problems.
  36. smeezekitty said:
    Never said the crossfire is not broken. I always recommend NVidia to anyone considering multi-GPU setups.

But the article and this comment section isn't about single cards is it?
  37. Mousemonkey said:
    smeezekitty said:
    Never said the crossfire is not broken. I always recommend NVidia to anyone considering multi-GPU setups.

Mouse, you are always just one step away from a troll... :P
  38. Novuake said:
    Mousemonkey said:
    smeezekitty said:

Why? Because I point out what the thread is actually about?
  39. Mousemonkey said:
    Novuake said:
    Mousemonkey said:
    smeezekitty said:

Why? Because I point out what the thread is actually about?

You have a way of uhm grabbing peoples attention...
  40. It's a gift. ;)
  41. MM: is there any reason why you cannot accept that there are happy AMD GPU users?

Just curious. I am partial to AMD but will recommend NVidia when appropriate.
  42. smeezekitty said:
    MM: is there any reason why you cannot accept that there are happy AMD GPU users?

Just curious. I am partial to AMD but will recommend NVidia when appropriate.

You may be happy but there are a lot of AMD users out there that are not happy with the performance of the drivers on their dual card setups, why can't you accept that? And as this thread is about dual GPU drivers why are on it saying that single card drivers are fine? Bit off topic don't you think?
  43. I have to agree that MM's commend on AMD drivers being rubbish was overstepping things as that is too all inclusive, but Crossfire is a problem. Even if the thread is about Crossfire, the comment still comes off as attacking all aspects of their drivers.

That said...

If you play them out of the box, you may not be bothered by their problems, but when put beside two systems, one with SLI and the other with Crossfire, it seems pretty much everyone sees a difference, or at least, everyone in Tom's Hardware article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-13.html

What that tells me is there is a difference that almost everyone sees and they should be steered towards SLI instead. Those who have Crossfire and claim there is no problem either use FPS limiters and fiddle around with things to get it to work, which obviously shows they notice a difference, or just haven't seen them both side by side. Even though a person may not be bothered Crossfire, that does not mean they would not have a better experience with SLI

Anyways, a big improvement should be coming in about a month, which is great news for Crossfire users. I'm also glad I went SLI this time, or I would have continued to spend another year with the problems of Crossfire.
  44. bystander said:
    I have to agree that MM's commend on AMD drivers being rubbish was overstepping things as that is too all inclusive, but Crossfire is a problem. Even if the thread is about Crossfire, the comment still comes off as attacking all aspects of their drivers.

That said...

If you play them out of the box, you may not be bothered by their problems, but when put beside two systems, one with SLI and the other with Crossfire, it seems pretty much everyone sees a difference, or at least, everyone in Tom's Hardware article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-13.html

What that tells me is there is a difference that almost everyone sees and they should be steered towards SLI instead. Those who have Crossfire and claim there is no problem either use FPS limiters and fiddle around with things to get it to work, which obviously shows they notice a difference, or just haven't seen them both side by side. Even though a person may not be bothered Crossfire, that does not mean they would not have a better experience with SLI

Anyways, a big improvement should be coming in about a month, which is great news for Crossfire users. I'm also glad I went SLI this time, or I would have continued to spend another year with the problems of Crossfire.

I would agree with you if it were different driver packages that had to be downloaded depending on whether you were running Xfire or a single card but as its a one driver fits all scenario I only have the one driver to aim my guns at! ;)
  45. Finally, I can expect a boost in my 7660G+7670M.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Graphics Cards Crossfire Components