Need a bit of help with an upgrade decision...

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello All,

I am in somewhat of a pickle with a decision here. I have an older system, but it still holds its own for the most part. I am debating on whether or not a $774 upgrade to my current system (everything except for SSD, HDD, Sound Card, and GPU) is worth my while. The primary purpose of my desktop is gaming/multimedia @ 1920x1080 res. I am quite a fan of 60+ frames in everything, the higher the better.

Most of my system is older (Antec 300 Case, TX650w PSU, Optical Drive are from 2008. Sound card from 2009, CPU/Mobo/Cooler from late 2009) My specs are further detailed in the CPU-Z Validation pasted below. My memory is recent, but I will not be bringing it over to my new system (most likely) if I do in fact purchase one.

Current System (i7-860 @ 4.4ghz, 8gb DDR3 @ 2ghz): http://valid.canardpc.com/2843182

Proposed new system (with my current SSD/HDD/Sound Card/GPU):
New_Build.png

As you can see, the performance of my current build is fairly solid, but it can obviously always be better. The new build is $774 shipped after discounts/promotions. Performance wise we are gaining in the CPU/Memory area, but there also is added functionality in the motherboard being able to do both crossfire and SLI (my current board only supports crossfire), addition of PCI-E 3.0, and a PSU with some headroom for future/further additions (something that the TX650w has not provided me over the years).

As for my case, it is more than time to replace it. I do not even have any of the panels (front or sides). So obviously we have a better system here with a bit more flexibility going forward, and it will be all nice and pretty. The question is, what do you guys think? Is it worth the $774? Would you do it? Thanks in advance! Cheers!

EDIT: I attempted to attach a poll, but it kept throwing an error. Alas, we go on!

Best,

3Ball

Unless you have a specific need for 16GB of RAM, you can drop it down to 8GB to save a bit of cash. 8GB is more than enough for games.

In terms of performance increase, on average the overall increase in raw power is about 25% assuming the same clockspeed.

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
You better get an i7 then you may feel performance ...otherwise it just ~10% fast then you old i7 .... You Antec 300 case still good...

$774 ... you can get an i7-3930K with P9X79 MB ...

you just need another CPU+ MB combo... Plus SSD ... don't waste money on the case ..power supply and water cooling...

pauldh

Illustrious
If it is stable, acceptably quiet, etc...... I can't fathom the need to upgrade from a i7-860 @ 4.4 GHz + 8GB RAM for gaming (performance).

What games does it fall short of your 60+ fps desires? Lets determine if it is CPU, GPU, or other (poor coding, internet lag, drivers, etc.) -limited.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for all of the responses guys. My antec 300 case is not at all good anymore. It literally could not be confirmed as an antec 300 if I were not to tell you. If I get a new CPU/Mobo then a PSU will be upgraded as well. I have wanted to head room for a while as someday SLI may be in my future and I OC everything I own to the max.

However, I have decided to hold off for a bit. My computer is in perfect shape software wise, drivers and all, so any performance issue is due to being inadequate power wise, or the game is not made well enough.

To answer a posted question: some games such as crysis 3, metro last light, and planetside 2 cannot hold a 60+ frame rate with max settings. I realize the games themselves could be the issue at times, but still a stronger system would get me closer to my ultimate goal.

Most of this is feeling the need to upgrade after having the CPU for so incredibly long. I obviously would be overclocking haswell as I have my 860, but I think I am going to hold off a bit longer with this system as my friends have already conned me into pre-ordering a PS4.

Next years haswell refresh + and 880 and 16gb of memory will be in my future. The reason for the 16gb of memory is because I like to keep my systems idle memory usage below 25%, and it currently resides around 35% with my daily needs. I am convinced that due to the timid new console specs and their similarities in architecture, any system with a current gen i5/i7 at i5/i7 @ 4+ghz along with a 780 through 880 range of cards and 12 - 16gb of ram will be good to go for a long time.

So that is where I want to eventually be. Just need to get the timing right. Once again, thanks guys!

pauldh

Illustrious
3Ball, most of us fully understand the desire to upgrade well before the need. Although, my wife does not. ;-)

I've put FC3 through the ringer so much in review, I'll use that as an example. At 1920x1080, Ultra details and 2X MSAA, your GTX 680 will not meet your demands, but your CPU most likely would. If you drop to high details so the GPU can survive, then your CPU would be fine (even i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz is enough)