Pentium 5800 3.2GHZ -vs- Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (Advice?)

severeidaho

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi everyone, I currently have a Lenovo Ideacentre system. I am finding that a good majority of CanIrunIt tests show that my CPU fails minimum requirements. Everything else looks good.

So I am coming to you guys to ask some advice about a possible CPU upgrade.

My Mobo is

Manufacturer LENOVO
Model To be filled by O.E.M. (CPU 1)
Version Lenovo Product
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P45/P43/G45/G43
Chipset Revision A3
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00

It is a Socket 775 LGA.

I saw this link that shows a core2duo for 70 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116903&IsVirtualParent=1

However, I know this is not the most current Core2duo.

I would like to play recent games and don't want to spend more than 150.00 on a new cpu.

Could anyone recommend a CPU that will work for my mobo.

I would also like to use existing hardware and possibly buy a new mobo and cpu for 150.00. Let me know what my best bet is.

The details on my PC is at here. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-K300-53162HU-Performance/dp/B00A5EGI8E

Hopefully mobo dimension can help you guys nail down a possiblke mobo and cpu upgrade for my case.

If I let anything out that prevents you from suggesting a new cpu etc, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

-Gerrit

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
An i3? Bah. I'd recommend going for an AMD system. Get an AM3+ board and stick a 965 BE in there. Much better as far as price : performance and price : features are concerned.

AKANFatality

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

He is going for a minor CPU upgrad. The way you say it will be expensive for him!

severeidaho

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I did look at a few mobo+cpu combos over at TigerDirect. They had this combo. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8297868&CatId=14 Only thing I don't know is if my current Lenovo case would allow for the new mobo to fit. How would I go about finding out? I did some research and the people rave about the Phenom II X4 945. I also noticed its an older CPU. Seems to handle most games as long as you have a GPU capable.

Are the combos cheaper, or can I actually pick out a mobo, cpy and memory and still end out around the same price as the combos? I am a total newbie when it comes to components. I do know that building myself, I save money. Plus I have always wanted to build a pc.

I do have a Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series 1gb. Its basic for the most part. I may or may not upgrade the GPU. Seems most games don't mind my GPU, its the CPU that I have that does not meet minimums.

I would love to buy an i3,i5,i7 but they are pretty pricey. I am also reading that some processors that can benchmark at I series cpus and cost 1/3 of the price.

I would prefer at least a Quad Core Cpu. Something relatively new, at least 3.00ghz, 6-8mb L2/L3 cache and a decent mobo.

Remember that I plan to use components on my current pc to complete the build. Also, if Windows 7 64 Home Premium is installed on my HD and I install it in the new mobo, will it still work? Or will I have to buy a license of Windows 7. I do not want windows 8. Have heard its a pain.

Thanks for all the replies so far.