First PC Build Questions

outdoorsman704

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hey, I'm new to the forum but have read some of the various articles and browsed the forums. I'll be building a budget gaming pc soon and it will also be my first pc build. I'd just like to list the parts that I'll be using and get some feedback on any parts that I'd like to use that aren't very good and maybe some recommendations so I can get the best out of it. Currently, the build costs around $600.00 and I'd like to stay around there, $650 max.

Case: Cooler Master CM Force 500
Mobo: Asus P8B75-MLX Plus
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge
GPU: Asus GTX650-DC-1 GD5 GeForce
Memory: (2) Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200RPM
CD/DVD: Asus 24x DVD Burner
Power Supply: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

My main concern is the power supply as I wasn't sure what kind of wattage I needed and if Corsair is a reliable brand. Otherwise, I'm just looking for a PC that will play current games at medium or better settings and will be able to play games coming out for next gen consoles and still look better than those consoles. I appreciate the help a lot!

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Its tough to stay around that budget range for a gaming system. For starters, I'd recommend at ;east upgrading to an i5 cpu. You can find a number of those guys for around 50 bucks more then the cpu your currently getting. Other then that, everything looks solid. Corsair is great, and that PSU will supply plenty of wattage. I wouldn't count on this system looking better then any next gen consoles, though you should be fine on medium settings. Good luck man, I'm currently building a computer to :).

Corsair are one of the best makes for PSUs. I disagree about the CPU, if you spend more spend it on the GPU 1st. But there are a number of newer games that don't run well on dual core cpus (like the i3s) so the cheaper AMD 965BE could be a better option.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

AMD, in my experience, has been an unreliable brand, with poor drivers and bad parts. In terms of price to performance ratio, I think he will get more bang for his buck upgrading to i5, and then just getting a new GPU later down the line.

outdoorsman704

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Well, I could get an i5 and upgrade my graphics card to a gtx 660 I'd just have to wait a little longer to get the extra cash. If I don't do that, I may just get the nicer graphics card and put in a i5 later on. What do you think?

Not the best idea as now Haswell has been released (on a new chipset) Ivybridge may not be for sale for very long. AMD is not an unreliable brand and has not had driver issues for nearly 10 years (its amazing how long people remember 1 problem from years ago and it was on graphics cards not CPUs). If you are planning to upgrade in the next 6 months it may be better in the long run to get the i5 now and have worse performance until then, if you will have the system for a year or more before upgrading I suggest get the best balanced system now. The GTX760 has just launched and gives amazing performance for the price if you can afford it, if not the Radeon 7850 & 7870 series have some great games included and are good value. Also the 650Ti is good value and not much more than the 650 and performance is well ahead.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

AMD has not had one driver problem, they have had multiple. In general, I find Nvidia and Intel to be better places to get gpus and cpus then AMD. No fanboysism, thats just from my experience and the experience of many of my friends. If you are welling to get a little more cash and built later (a good decision) then I would recommend getting a sandy bridge i5 processor. You will get satisfying clock speed, a good price, and you will be far less likely to bottleneck then you will with the i3. Personally, I would go with a gtx 650 ti and the i5 2500k. You will be running at medium settings like a pro with that hardware. In general, its always better to save some money and splurge on components the first time around then wasting your money on components you won't be happy with.

If you want an i5 get the bargain 3350P or the top end 3570K or 4670K there is no reason to get the 2500K but a 965BE at half the price will not hold back a 650Ti. Saying Nvidia and Intel are better is fanboyism. A gaming PC should have a GPU that cost 1.5-2 times more than the CPU to be ballanced whatever make CPU you get. AMD never had SATA problems like Sandy bridge or USB issues like haswell.

outdoorsman704

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys. I went and talked with a local tech guy today and he said my system should run well either way and gave a few recommendations. I think I'll probably go with the i3 unless I can get a sandy bridge i5 for the same price and I'll probably get a little more expensive gpu like the 650 ti or 660.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
No problem. Best of luck. I am not saying Nvidia and Intel necessarily are better, I was saying that in my experience, they have been more reliable. If AMD released an amazing cheap cpu, I would get it. But I just think the safer bet is Nvidia and Intel. Thats from speculation, not fanboyism.