Newegg Return problem

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I usually have stellar experiences with online vendors and seldom have a problem. Unfortunately, my recent
experience with Newegg was a very notable exception.

Short version. My company purchased an ASUS P9X79Pro motherboard and an expert technician installed into a custom built PC. The computer wouldn't boot and a couple hours with ASUS tech support confirmed that board was dead. They told us to return and get a replacement. Being in a hurry we ordered another from Newegg and went through the company process for returns to get credit for the original. No dice. We received a note saying there was "physical damage" to the board and they sent it back to us saying they wouldn't credit. They said processor pins were damaged when we called to inquire. This was not something we did. The pins were never damaged as the tech doing the work has done thousands of custom builds and knows his stuff. I suspect it's easier for Newegg to thumb the pins and blame the customer thereby never having to return their money.

Numerous attempts to the company and through the credit card company wouldn't resolve it. So, I guess I learned the hard way to not trust NewEgg's hype about being about great customer service. Nothing could be further from the truth. Had I known, I never would have bought the second board from them. I'll never deal with them again for anything. The cost we had to eat amounted to about $325 and that's something I want everyone to be aware of. The gorillas in their receiving dept. can easily damage any return in ways to void the warranty so you're stuck.

I've read a number of other complaints from people and it's something I seldom need to do. But when I find a company unwilling to make their customer happy, or work with them to find an agreeable solution, I say stay away...far AWAY from NewEgg.

Alan G

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
My experience was exactly the opposite. I bought a Gigabyte MoBo whose DVI port died right after Win7 installation. Got the RMA approved that day and sent the Board back. They replaced it and my build is up and running. The only complaint I have is that the customer is on the hook for UPS shipping charges. Amazon covers shipping which is the right thing to do.

Dhamilton

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Just because your tech has done 1000 installs doesn't mean that on 1001 he didn't mess up.
If the board was messed up from the manufacturer your tech should have spotted the bad pins prior to installing the CPU.
A pretty simple visual inspection of the ZIF socket on the MB before placing the CPU would likely show something wrong and would be a common thing to do when replacing a part as integral as the MB.
Did your tech do this inspection?
Why did you not exchange the board as ASUS wanted you to, instead buying a brand new and then expecting money back.
The RMA would have let newegg send that board back to ASUS and recoup their loss. A refund and I think they eat the cost.

chugot9218

Honorable
Unfortunately they are pretty picky about the CPU pins, mainly because the manufacturers are so picky about them. ASUS tells you right up front that they won't even accept a MOBO return unless you have the plastic CPU slot cover that comes over it in place. I think you should still be able to remedy this someway either through ASUS or Newegg, but one solution is to take pictures or video as you unbox the MOBO and seat the CPU. Kind of inconvenient, but at least you can CYA and you have proof your tech did not damage it.

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
The pins weren't bent because the processor seated perfectly and locked. It was a dead board. ASUS told us it was dead and to return. They would have credited Newegg. It was returned to Newegg with pins intact. How easy for them to thumb the pins and unilaterally say it's our fault? I bought a second board trusting they would honor the return and issue credit. Instead, a quick thumb and problem solved for Newegg but not for me. When we learned there was a problem I called immediately. They said they would take photos of the bent pins. They never did, just sent me the board back. Deal with them if you want but I know they'll never see another penny from me.

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Oh, how I wish we video recorded the whole install, un-install, etc. Lesson learned. I would have never bought the second board from them had I known they would not credit original.

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Good for you. I wasn't that fortunate and from some of the reviews I've seen others have experience similar problems.

To the op did you or newegg ever make a claim to the shipper for shipping damage. Those plastic covers need to be changed as there not strong if a mb box gets dropped the plastic can bend and hit the pins. I gotten two mb that the pins been smashed in shipping. It happens a lot depending if the driver or shipper tosses the mb box.

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
No, didn't go the shipper route because Newegg made this personal in the way they dismissed the claim out of hand. At no time did they make any attempt to find a solution or compromise. I spoke with a supervisor in customer service today to make one last attempt. Nope. 3 times I went through American Express to resolve. Each time they tried reaching out to Newegg and each who each time simply rejected the claim. AMEX felt so bad they offered me a "loyalty" credit because I'm a 30 year customer with over a million points. This isn't a shipping problem, it's a Newegg problem. I've never dealt with them before so the only thing I had to go on was their ad hype. Now I'm a smarter consumer, just a little poorer.