Gaming headset, which should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Hello, i am looking to get a good gaming headset, that also performs well using it in other areas such as movies and music, preferably with a great bass, i want to point out i am NOT interested in audiophile headphones such as sennheiser so please do not make a suggestion on these kind of headphones, i currently have these options, which one should i buy? if you have better suggestions for about the same price range please tell me:

Razer Carcharias
Steelseries Siberia V2
Logitech g35

these are the ones i'm most interested in, which one should i choose?
again if you have any other suggestions of a good gaming headset i'm open to them, as long as they are in the price range.
Thanks!

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
A headset good in gaming will NOT be good for movies and music. This is because they use directional driver alignment, which is good for hearing the guy sneaking up on you, but distort with media files.

Do you need a mic?
How long will you be wearing them at a time?
Acceptable clarity?
What type of music do you listen to?
Do you have a sound card?

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

i occasionally play online, not so much "i need a mic" as "i want a mic"
my gaming sessions vary between 2 and 5 hours depending on the game
i'd like the sound from the headphones o be as clear as you get, as for the mic i really don't care if it has noise canceling or not
i have a lot of music from every genre, the most i listen to would be disco/funk or electronic, both with big bass
the soundcard i have is a soundblaster 3di

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The G35 is superior to the rest you mentioned, and my personal favorite. It is comfortable in long gaming sessions (some people overlook comfort), and has relatively good clarity.
However, I would still consider them sub par in most instances when listening to music or movies... As stated before, all headphones dedicated to gaming fall short in this regard. What you must remember, though, is that gaming headphones are merely a branded pair that are usually inferior.

It is funny you should choose to single out Sennheiser, as I actually picked a pair of them :) I game competitively, and I get strange looks from people, but I stand by my choice. Take a look at the HD 518. Then you will have the best headphone possible in both regards.

For the most part though, the G35 is a good investment!

luneki

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

the g35's are actually the ones i'm most interested about now, and believe me after hearing hours of music on my sony mdr-v150 i'll never overlook comfort again :p
i do have a question about them, supposedly the music (depending on the quality, genre,etc) sounds good on the g35 only if you turn off the surround processing, the stereo sounds clear and the bass has great response, at least that's what i've heard is this true?
and now that you mention sennheiser, the only headphones i could actually buy because of the price range are the HD201, are they really that good for the price? thanks for the answer!

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I think you will be better suited with the G35 to be honest. I actually had the G90 (wireless version), and they were excellent overall! Music was actually very good, and noticeably better on surround sound. Sound processing depends on the music player, etc. Im not a fan of it, but some people prefer it for older tracks.
Either way, you can switch it on or off to suit your preference.

Formae

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Recommend Razer Caricharas OP. I play a lot games where tactics and teamwork are very important so a Mic is necessary. As someone who's gone through a few headsets, I'm very happy with the Caricharas and they are great for long periods of play (most of the rounds are very long, ranging from 2-5 hours per match). Everyone says the mic is very clear, and the sound quality in-game is great. As for movies and videos, I wouldn't say they're amazing but they're not bad either.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Razer have notoriously terrible headsets. They WILL break sooner rather than later, and while some designs are good, their quality is horrid in comparison to Logitech. Razer take the cheapest cans they can find, and slap some paint and a few stickers on it. Logitech have excellent build quality, and are quite satisfactory for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.