7970 stops responding at 65C

Kinitawowi

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hi all,

Just built a new PC which runs everything great! For about four minutes, at which point the display driver stops and recovers, usually killing whatever game I was running in the process.

I've tested it with OCCT and logged it with GPU-Z, and pinned it down - the driver stops the moment the GPU's temperature sensor hits 65C. As I understand it, this is not particularly hot for a graphics card; if I leave the ATI CCC fan control settings as their defaults, they don't even start turning up the fans from 20% speed until the card reaches about 60C. (I've set it to override to 100% fan all the time, which is noisy but stable; only a couple of games push the card enough to hit the limit, notably Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 - the Never Settle Reloaded pack that came with the card! ["Look how awesome this card is! ...oh."] Diablo 3 runs fine.) When idling the card is happy to pootle along at about 35C.

So, is this a dud card or a dud driver? The fact that it's consistently occurring at a fixed point suggests that it's drivers - that looks like the sort of value that ought to be customisable. I've only had the card three weeks, so I'm loath to return it this soon; XFX suggested swaptesting it and if that fails RMA. I've contacted the reseller's tech support team to see what they say, which so far has amounted to job all.

GPU: XFX 7970HD 3Ghz DD Black Edition
CPU: i7-4770K
PSU: Corsair HX850
Mobo: Asus Z87-Pro
Catalyst version: Same results from both 13.4 and 13.6Beta

Update And whaddya know, I got a response from the reseller while I was typing this post! They said "yeah, that doesn't sound right, but give us your PSU specs anyway".