Jun 26, 2013
Am I bottlenecked?
My specs are:
AMD FX(tm)-6200 Six-Core Processor @3.9Ghz
sapphire hd 7970 3gb
8GB RAM
corsair cx600 600w
m5a78l-mlxv2

I play at a 1680x1050 resolution. when looking at benchmarks for this card i saw minecraft should be over 300fps when i get 60-120. i had a gtx 650 and i got a constant 120fps. i looked at bo2 and it should be getting 150-200, instead i get 70-125. Before you say about old nvidia drivers i reinstalled windows and reset my pc. As far as i am aware that cpu should not be bottlenecking me at all, but who am i to judge. I am wondering if i should send the current card back and get a new one if it is broke, or if it is something else in my system causing a bottleneck.

I would appreciate a fast reply as if i am going to send the card back i will need to do so in a couple of days, so any reply will do. thanks. After spending £400 on new equipment for my pc, you will probably understand my frustration.

X79

Honorable
An FX 6300 would've been better potentially.

If you're still into the FX line, an FX 8350 would be great I think. I think it's perhaps

50 quid cheaper than an Intel i5. You also have to take into account the benchmarkers;

their rigs are usually always top of the line, so that they're sure that minimal bottlenecking will

take place. You're still getting great FPS in my view.

The actual bottleneck is your monitor, most screens cant even display an FPS above 60. Even if your being bottlenecked, your being limited to a level of performance that you couldn't perceive anyway.
Try overclocking your CPU, that of all things would be causing the bottleneck.

sam kelbie

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

also just tried 3dmark and crisis 3 3dmark my drivers crashed immediately and crisis 3 medium settings got around 70 and then crashed after 20 seconds. i will try some new drivers. however the reason i bought this card was to get the very high frames promised. i saw an i5 get roughly these fps which i described so the system was not that high spec. To be honest i thought my cpu was not that bad and the fact that i am getting lower minecraft frames with this set up than the last is surely saying something? Do you think i should rma the car and get a replacement, because considering the money spent on this i want all i can get out of it and it is defiantly not the frames i am getting now.

sam kelbie

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

You have to understand, the money I spent on this gfx card, I am not excepting lousy performance. A minecraft test with an I5 and this card showed 300-400 fps. I am getting 90-120 and believe me that is not enough to get what i want added onto minecraft. As i said to the other reply, i ran 3dmark and the amd drivers crashed and the system restarted. Then i ran crysis 3 on medium, got around 70 fps for 20 seconds then the game and the drivers crashed. just off to backdating some drivers now but i dont see how i will get hundreds more frames added by backdating drivers.

You have to understand my frustration. paying this much money for it not to work properly!

Sounds to me that you have some instability since it cant seem to hold up in 3DMArk and games. Have you overclocked at all, is the card fcatory OC'd?
Try backing the memory and core clock off by 50Mhz and see if that prevents the card from crashing.

sam kelbie

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

sorted the crashing out. turns out it was oc a little too far (gpu or cpu, i turned them both back) but i will rma the card as i believe that the cards performance is too low. like i said my old gtx 650 beat it performance wise in minecraft and bf3 soooo... there has to be something wrong there. there is no way a £120 card can beat this thing. Thanks for all your help though. now there is me just hoping that ocuk will have as quick service as they did delivering it. i do understand that my cpu may not be the best of the best but its still got some power to it. but for suggestions should i go straight to the i7? because i was hoping that this one would last me but i guess not. could you please tell me just how bad is my cpu because like i said i didn't think it was that bad. thanks

rarity13

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Just as an FYI, I know from experience that Minecraft is NOT a good game to use as a benchmark, considering the poor optimization and tendency to run poorly on high end systems while running fine on lower end systems.