System Reserved partition created, not cool :(

dimebags7

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
I have windows 7 installed on two different hard drives. when i unplug one from the mainboard and boot windows i do not see the partition. when i leave both plugged in, i do see the 100mb partition. It is labeled by windows 7 System Reserved. It is 71.8mb free of 99.9mb, what it states in my computer anyways.

Did I do something wrong when I installed windows?

I did do a clean install and also formatted the disc prior. When I went to install from disc, I only had one hard drive plugged in and did not partition the hard drive.

popatim

Titan
Thats perfectly normal when you install win7 on an unpartitioned drive.

The System Reserved partition serves two functions. First, it holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. Seccond, it reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature. If you ever decide to encrypt your system drive using BitLocker, you won’t have to repartition your system drive to make it possible.

If you are sure you won't use bitlocker then you can remove the partition by booting up with a partition tool and delete both and create just one and then reinstall windows.