Report: Nokia EOS Smartphone is Lumia 1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I seriously hope that with this just being announced in July that it will not hit the store before WP8.1 (Blue) is launched. I would imagine that MS will tie the launch of 8.1 to this new flagship phone and that is all I am waiting for to upgrade...

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I must go into a store and actually try a windows phone so that I stop reading articles like this then lose interest as soon as it says WP8. Mind you I also have that much shit with apple and google, to switch to MS would just mean more app purchasing ><

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Throw Android on it and I'll consider it.... After the exceptionally poor handling of WP7 and the WP7.8 rollout, there's nothing compelling about Windows Phone for me.

Most likely this will be released for the holiday rush, which means that it will ship with GDR3. WPBlue/8.1 will not come until early 2014.

But, GDR3 will unlock the ability for the phone to have a 1080p screen and a quad core CPU, so it could very well be a next gen windows phone, and finally play with the big boys on the market in terms of raw processing power. Sadly, the leaked photos I have seen show it being not much bigger than the L920, which will probably mean that a quad core CPU will be limited by thermals and battery much of the time (like most quad core phones). Still needed for the parallel requirements of processing such huge photos, but does not mean much of anything for day to day performance.

lhughey

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I can't believe they using the name "EOS" on a phone that highlights its camera prowess. Canon's lawyers are ready to pounce.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
"Throw Android on it and I'll consider it.... After the exceptionally poor handling of WP7 and the WP7.8 rollout, there's nothing compelling about Windows Phone for me. "

Yeah, nothing goes more smoothly than an android version roll out.

That's not my point.

The point is people are so brainwashed into thinking the more megapixels you have the better the picture. Megapixels is just the size of the image and has to be scaled down to even fit on the computer screen or print as a photo. So essentially a 41MP crappy picture is no better than a 10MP crappy picture.

The size of the image sensor is where the magic happens. A larger sensor with larger pixels is more sensitive to light, better in low light and has better color reproduction. This is what gives you a better picture. However, this spec is not standardized, and not advertised.

alextheblue

Distinguished
My Lumia 822 has been absolutely great from day one. Zero issues. On the 928, however, Verizon dragged their feet and took forever to get a 92x variant, and they were ridiculously tight-lipped about the release date. I don't think any of their staff locally knew it existed until a customer asked to see one. I hope Big Red does a better job with their launch of whatever the VZW variant of the 1020 is called. You know... maybe advertise it, or at least put a release date online, educate staff, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.