First time build advise

G

I am currently doing research on a first time build and I have pretty much settled on all the important features. Could use any advise on better components for the price range.
-AMD FX-6300 CPU
-AMD Radeon HD 7770
-8GB RAM
Any advise on Windows 7 Home vs Pro?
Also is the Solid state drive worth the money as far as gaming performance?

ConnerFS

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
If you want to game, you may want to consider an Intel i5 or i7. I'm not pushing it, but at least look around at Intel, because they have a good reputation for gaming. Video card is a little weak for gaming(considering the future), look at the HD 6950, or GTX 660, in roughly that same price range. RAM is fine, and Windows 7 Home should do. I would recommend an SSD, they provide for a better all-around experience.

fkr

Splendid
since it seems you are on a budget then I would not recommend a SSD. while they improve some things they have no effect on gameplay, AMD is fine, intel is better but for the money AMD will max out any graphics card in your budget. I would sink any extra money into the graphics card and upgrading just a little in price to a 650ti (only $30 more @ $130) or even better a 650ti boost (which is 40-50 more @ $140-150 depending if you use the mail in rebate or not). the 2 Gig 650 ti boost is the way to go for decent gaming right now. this would let you max out borderlands 2 and play everything else at high settings with a good framerate.

fkr

Splendid
if you were to spend $300 then you would just buy the best $300 card. only do a single card and if you want to do SLI later then you have to get a 2+Gig GDDR5 GPU like the 650ti boost

fkr

Splendid
furthermore if you want to know what to do at each price point then check out this tom's article.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-performance.html
the tahiti LE card at $210 is a good deal also. this is the lowest card you can get and expect to run max settings on everything but the most extreme games. this card and the gtx 760 are the pinnacle of 1080P gaming (within reason of course)

the only card to add to that article is the new gtx 760 at $250

Pilbo_Baggins

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Awesome. I think the GTX 650 Ti is what I am going with. The site I am customizing with only offers AMD. How is the AMD A8-5600K? It is the lowest end quad core that is available to me as a choice.