Sign in with
Your question

[First Build] Am I ready to start building with these parts?

Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2013 5:06:44 AM

This is my first build, I'm a software guy not a hardware guy so I did a few days of research on parts, looked at reviews, benchmarks, whatever I could find. Now I'm all set to order and having always come to Tom's Hardware for information I know I can get some good feedback here from a knowledgeable community.

It's also probably worth mentioning I don't plan on OCing, just to be able to play all modern titles on ultra high settings.

Thanks in advance, here's the parts I've selected:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
OD: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
Power: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC with Boost

Thanks again in advance for your help, this computer will be used for when I have a few hours from the busy work week to kick back, relax, and game a few of the newer games in ultra with (hopefully) no problems. All constructive criticism is welcomed!
June 27, 2013 6:09:58 AM

Whoops realized you mentioned what it's for at the end but you want higher end gaming well you definitely don't need that 500GB an SSD is much more logical if you want it to perform. Your 7970 is perfectly fine but I would swap that HDD for an SSD this will boost save/load times significantly. For example when I played Skyrim on an HDD it was atrocious but once I got my SSD I got to say loading times even with all my mods won't last more than 15 seconds. Assuming you don't get a lot of time to play you don't want to spend half your time on a loading screen. (Coming from a guy who has a family, house and dog on top of cooking and working I share your pain I am lucky to squeeze an hour to myself so on that hour I want more play and less loading LOL) I hope this helps otherwise I think you're fine personally would check to make sure you're CPU has a heatsink and fan if it doesn't make sure to look into one cause you won't be powering it up with one LOL or your CPU will burn up fast!
Related resources
June 27, 2013 7:09:43 AM

The Kasafist said:
Whoops realized you mentioned what it's for at the end but you want higher end gaming well you definitely don't need that 500GB an SSD is much more logical if you want it to perform. Your 7970 is perfectly fine but I would swap that HDD for an SSD this will boost save/load times significantly. For example when I played Skyrim on an HDD it was atrocious but once I got my SSD I got to say loading times even with all my mods won't last more than 15 seconds. Assuming you don't get a lot of time to play you don't want to spend half your time on a loading screen. (Coming from a guy who has a family, house and dog on top of cooking and working I share your pain I am lucky to squeeze an hour to myself so on that hour I want more play and less loading LOL) I hope this helps otherwise I think you're fine personally would check to make sure you're CPU has a heatsink and fan if it doesn't make sure to look into one cause you won't be powering it up with one LOL or your CPU will burn up fast!

Thank you so much for this great feedback! I sure do feel your pain haha with minimal time to play I would like loading times to stay at a minimal as well. But I am pushing my budget with this build so the best I could afford would be maybe a SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), would this be a solid purchase in place of the HDD I selected?

Thanks again!
June 27, 2013 7:23:47 AM

Well if it's strickly to game why not just snatch the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB that's still good amount of memory to keep your games that you install on it and save yourself some cash in the short term till you are ready to get more later on? Note: think about how little memory gaming consoles usually have LOL! Personally I have the Plextor M5P Xtreme as you can see below but I would have gotten a 128GB in short if my budget was tight so I say snatch the 128GB.
June 27, 2013 7:29:15 AM

Umm ignore that add that showed up under my comment it just appeared when I selected post?!?!?!?!
June 27, 2013 10:40:16 AM

The Kasafist said:
Well if it's strickly to game why not just snatch the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB that's still good amount of memory to keep your games that you install on it and save yourself some cash in the short term till you are ready to get more later on? Note: think about how little memory gaming consoles usually have LOL! Personally I have the Plextor M5P Xtreme as you can see below but I would have gotten a 128GB in short if my budget was tight so I say snatch the 128GB.

This is very true, the 128 would suffice for now as well. I could always upgrade later on. Thank you very much! Also had a question, as I was looking at the SSD options I noticed they're mostly 2.5" while the case I have selected has 3.5" bays, would I need to get a suspension or modification piece for the SSD or select a different case? What would you recommend? Thanks again!

I guess it's worth mentioning I don't plan on OCing as well, probably an important detail that I forgot. That being said should I go with the Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770 instead of my currently specified processor, and save myself $50.00? Thank you.

June 27, 2013 11:10:36 AM

TheBigTroll said:
better build for gaming. there is no reason to bother with a i7 for gaming and to get a scamming motherboard like that
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aOzs

Thanks for your input, I'll look over what you've presented!

With a little more research I've found I don't necessarily need an i7 processor in the end, and can save a little more cash, thanks again! If anyone else has anything more to add, or can answer the above questions I had from a post ago, I'd greatly appreciate it!
June 27, 2013 1:44:22 PM

texaslonghorns222 said:
The Kasafist said:

This is very true, the 128 would suffice for now as well. I could always upgrade later on. Thank you very much! Also had a question, as I was looking at the SSD options I noticed they're mostly 2.5" while the case I have selected has 3.5" bays, would I need to get a suspension or modification piece for the SSD or select a different case? What would you recommend? Thanks again!

I guess it's worth mentioning I don't plan on OCing as well, probably an important detail that I forgot. That being said should I go with the Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770 instead of my currently specified processor, and save myself $50.00? Thank you.

Well in my situation my case came with drive converter bays luckily so I was all set. I am not sure about yours but I would like to think that most pc cases or SSD will have at least 1 drive converter bay in the box. My SSD came with one and so did my case I had to use the one's for my case though cause the one the Plextor came with didn't fit right otherwise I don't foresee you needing to get one upfront. As for your CPU I am not sure I would say save yourself the cash anyhow and toss what ever you can save in the short term, why not?!
!