MSFT: Xbox One Headset is a Must Have (But Not Included with Console)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua M Below

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I wish Microsoft would bring back the old wireless headset. I still rock that thing. I have several friends that use newer types such as turtle beach or the newer garbage Microsoft one that I believes doubles as a bluetooth headset. Either way I'm curious if the old headsets will work with the new console, or is the same issue as the controllers, you have to buy a new one.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I honestly think the console is going to be fantastic, but for kids in college or kids at home who never watch TV or aren't responsible for a family, it will probably be overpriced with unused features.

As a husband\father, the guide and set top box features are awesome and switching between games, movies and TV is going to be so much better.

My guess is the Microsoft is trying to expand the XBox user base. Since a game console is going to sit in a living room anyway, they want it to be the center of the living room, which means it has to do more than just play kids games. It needs to absorb all of the functions of the devices in your living room, including TV, Music and Movies.

Good direction, this is where things are going so you might as well get a head start on it. They tried to do this in 2005 but people weren't ready. A small niche of people still cling to the awesomeness of media center and have made some phenomenal living-room centric media centers using tuners from Ceton and UI mods like mediabrowser. Combine that with the bower of a PC running steam big picture mode and a PC XBox wireless controller and you've got an amazing system.

Microsoft seems to be doing the same with the XBox One and I think its a fantastic idea. But for those kids out there who just want to sit in from of their TV alone playing games, the value may not be there. I still think Microsoft is going to sell a ton of these things if they market the other features correctly and to the right audience.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
MSFT is doing great on their plan

Trying to force kinect down our customers throat - CHECK
Back track just days later after E3 on used games - CHECK
Too cheap to include a $5 headset - CHECK
Try to have the worst launch in console history - CHECK
Let PS4 own this gen console war - CHECK

so... the headset will be a required feature in online games even though we have kinect with the xb1... it's not included, and old xb360 headsets won't work with the new system. Really M$? $500 and you can't even throw in a "required" piece of equipment? Next we'll find out the xb1 doesn't have hdmi or any other plug features, and that you need to buy M$ proprietary adapter plug to connect your xb1 to a tv. This crap might fly with isheep but i doubt there are enough rich and stupid gamers to make this a winning strategy. This self destruction is hard to watch now.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Any serious gamer knows that you need a high quality set to hear well enough to win, so this little chat headset is very sub-par for FPS games. There'll be cheap adapters for people to use their awesome gear they currently own, so don't flip out.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Any serious gamer knows that you need a high quality set to hear well enough to win, so this little chat headset is very sub-par for FPS games. There'll be cheap adapters for people to use their awesome gear they currently own, so don't flip out.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
CONSOLE gaming has pretty much died in the past year for me. I've been deep into EVERY system that has come out but with XBOX One and PS4, i have ZERO urge to own either one. My OUYA has me playing games that I enjoy playing (not just rehashes of the top 10 sellers) and my PC helps me with everything else.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Both the XBox One and the PS4 new controllers will cost $59 each (Amazon has them) so nothing is going to be cheap on these guys. At least I will not have to shell out $150 or so for the new Kinect which is bundled in.

If the One release is like the 360 release, you don't want the 'Day One' edition because it will stop working shortly thereafter.

Give it a year and get the 'Day 366' edition.

And who cares if XBOX One doesn't come with a headset. It's not absolutely necessary since voice input works through the Kinect and sound can channel through your PC or HT Speakers.

The press, in general, is picking apart the XBOX One big time. Anything they can criticize, they are; whether the PS4 is the same regarding any particular aspect or not. It's getting old.

Sony doesn't need to make commercials for the PS4, they just need to keep paying reviewers and people writing articles big bucks.

i just thought it was interesting m$ is saying the headset is required.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I honestly think the console is going to be fantastic, but for kids in college or kids at home who never watch TV or aren't responsible for a family, it will probably be overpriced with unused features.

As a husband\father, the guide and set top box features are awesome and switching between games, movies and TV is going to be so much better.

My guess is the Microsoft is trying to expand the XBox user base. Since a game console is going to sit in a living room anyway, they want it to be the center of the living room, which means it has to do more than just play kids games. It needs to absorb all of the functions of the devices in your living room, including TV, Music and Movies.

Good direction, this is where things are going so you might as well get a head start on it. They tried to do this in 2005 but people weren't ready. A small niche of people still cling to the awesomeness of media center and have made some phenomenal living-room centric media centers using tuners from Ceton and UI mods like mediabrowser. Combine that with the bower of a PC running steam big picture mode and a PC XBox wireless controller and you've got an amazing system.

Microsoft seems to be doing the same with the XBox One and I think its a fantastic idea. But for those kids out there who just want to sit in from of their TV alone playing games, the value may not be there. I still think Microsoft is going to sell a ton of these things if they market the other features correctly and to the right audience.

macpeteo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I'm currently leaning towards the PS4 but it's way too early yet to make any commitments! I probably wont be buying anything until after the holidays.

paleh0rse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

First, most people don't want voice comms to broadcast over speakers -- it's awkward. Second, some of us can't have ANY sounds broadcasting over speakers if/when we play late at night when everyone else in the house is asleep.

And then there's the horrible language and "conversations" that take place on XBL between matches. There's no frickin' way I'd allow that garbage to broadcast within earshot of my kids!

You are a perfect example of why people buy a headset. When the PS3 came out, no one complained about a missing headset.

In some households, where multi-player isn't a must, a headset isn't needed for games the whole family can play together in the same room.

JohnnyHundo

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I have X1 on pre-order with Amazon.... but I'm going to wait until later to decide if I actually buy it. I've had my Gold membership for near 10 years straight now and I definitely enjoyed the 360; Problem is I haven't really games on the 360 for a year now (besides Mass Effect 3); I built a sweet PC gaming rig and spend all my time on that. I might just save my $500 bucks on the X1 and get a top line PC sound card and a Sennheiser gaming headset.

Every piece of negative information pushes me toward my better graphics, better sound, better everything PC world. There are only a couple of games I can't get on my PC ... and I don't know if I care about playing them anymore. I better see some pretty impressive stuff from the TV/Multimedia side of things is all I can say. I mean if my wife doesn't love it and use it (she dominates the living room TV) - it's a non-starter for me.

I'm feeling the same way and am in the same boat. I've been on XBOX live since the original XBOX with a year break for MS to work out the hardware issues with the 360.

First, the initial build quality is a concern for me as the 360 launch was a disaster from a hardware standpoint. I have a 360 in the living room that really serves the purpose of any smart TV since I built my PC witha 3930K and two 780s in it. No gaming on it, but simply using it as a media/entertainment hub. The features outside of gaming are what are going to drive the rest of the family to push a sale for us.

A MS store is opening up soon near us that will probably tip the scales when the family sees what it can do.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
As usual with XBOX One news, this is much ado about nothing.

Scenario 1: Microsoft includes cheapo headset with XBox One. Gamers say "this base headset is crap. I am going buy this cool one to use."

Scenario 2: Microsoft does not include a cheapo headset with XBox One. Gamers say: "no headset, I am going to go buy this cool one to use."

Microsoft haters always looking for anything to bithc about.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Well this is some sensationalist journalism if I've ever seen it. The term "must-have" is widely used in marketing to describe something that greatly increases the user's experience. It's not used to describe something that is essential to the operation of a product. A laptop manufacturer might sell an extended battery as an accessory and market it as a "must-have" for people who travel a lot. That doesn't mean buying a new battery is required for operation of the laptop, it just means it's highly recommended for specific use cases. Microsoft saying the headset is a "must-have" for online gamers means that it's a highly-recommended accessory for people who chat online with teammates when playing.

It's very clear from the comments that some people get this and that others don't. A company who is marketing their new product is going to label it as "must-have" to try and increase interest and demand for their new product. And for those complaining a headset isn't included, I'm much happier to see they included WiFi this time around. I'd rather buy a $20 headset than $100 WiFi adapter like I had to for my Xbox 360.

I agree. What all has happened to the Sony haters?

Oh... They're busy hacking their networks and stealing sensitive customer information.

paleh0rse

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Perhaps... I just hope my current $150 Turtle Beach headset works with the new system. If not, then I'll certainly miss a cheap MS headset that would tide me over until I can afford a better one that's compatible.

**facepalm** X 100

1241311768176.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.