Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Memory compatibility with Asus Z87 Pro mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 27, 2013 7:44:24 AM

Hi all:
I have gone through the memory qualified vendor list and I couldn't find that the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 is listed.They do list a couple other models from Crucial.
Does the above means that the model I listed is out of the question? If not, what other spec should I look at to understand if the memory is compatible or not? ( I will be using a 4770K cpu)
Many thanks in advance for the guidance
a c 855 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1618 V Motherboard
a c 2022 } Memory
June 27, 2013 8:18:47 AM

Most any DDR3 sticks should work, look for a minimum of 1600 and preferably a set with a low CL to freq ratio, like 1600/CL8, 1866/CL9 or better
June 27, 2013 10:43:23 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Most any DDR3 sticks should work, look for a minimum of 1600 and preferably a set with a low CL to freq ratio, like 1600/CL8, 1866/CL9 or better


Thanks Tradesman1. Could you explain a little bit more about 'CL to freq ratio'. Are you refering to the CAS latency which in the case I listed is 8-8-8-24.
Would you say that a RAM with those specs is considered a higher performance RAM than others that have a 10-10-10-X?
Thanks again
Related resources
a c 855 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1618 V Motherboard
a c 2022 } Memory
June 27, 2013 3:55:44 PM

CAS latency is the first of the 4 base timings and in simple terms is how many clock cycles it takes to complete an actions - if you relate it to seconds (time) then CL6 does something in 6 seconds and the CL9 lags behind at 9 seconds.........or in 18 seconds the CL9 does two actions where a CL6 has done 3
August 23, 2013 5:41:39 PM

crezam said:
Hi all:
I have gone through the memory qualified vendor list and I couldn't find that the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 is listed.They do list a couple other models from Crucial.
Does the above means that the model I listed is out of the question? If not, what other spec should I look at to understand if the memory is compatible or not? ( I will be using a 4770K cpu)
Many thanks in advance for the guidance


Hi - Just wondering if your BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 worked for you. I am using the ASUS VI Formula and was just wondering the same thing as you, as BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 is not listed on the compatibility list. An update would be great - thanks
November 29, 2013 12:41:57 AM

cjscotch said:
crezam said:
Hi all:
I have gone through the memory qualified vendor list and I couldn't find that the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 is listed.They do list a couple other models from Crucial.
Does the above means that the model I listed is out of the question? If not, what other spec should I look at to understand if the memory is compatible or not? ( I will be using a 4770K cpu)
Many thanks in advance for the guidance


Hi - Just wondering if your BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 worked for you. I am using the ASUS VI Formula and was just wondering the same thing as you, as BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 is not listed on the compatibility list. An update would be great - thanks


I'm also wondering this -- did either of you get the crucial ballistix and try it out on the asus z87 pro? For some reason asus's QVL (qualified vendor list) does not list most Crucial brand RAM. For example, there's only 1 model of ddr3 1866 speed RAM listed for Crucial and its a 4gb one. For comparison most other brands have about 5 1866 speed models in various sizes and timings. Corsair has 10+ models
a c 855 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1618 V Motherboard
a c 2022 } Memory
November 29, 2013 9:28:05 AM

QVLs are pretty much worthless - they 'test' with whatever they have available ( :)  in fact you might often see a brand new model of mobo showing it's 'compatible' with sticks that went out of production years earlier) for more on QVLs - see here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566
!