Sign in with
Your question

Does downloading torrents from a smartphone reduce the life of it's memory card significantly?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
Anonymous
June 27, 2013 7:54:23 AM

1.Does using a smartphone to download torrents reduce the lifespan of it's memory card? By how much?
2.How long would a Micro SD 32GB card last when it is used for downloading torrents 24/7?
3.Will the phone get too hot? Any effect on it's life?
a b I Smartphone
June 27, 2013 8:50:09 AM

The memory cards have a limited number or read/write cycles, so yes, using it non-stop will wear it out faster. How long it's expected to last, check the manufacturer's specs for your card.

Phone shound not get "too hot", but will warm up due to CPU use, it should not do anything bad to the phone, but is not exactly good for it, so life span has a chance of shortening.
Anonymous
June 27, 2013 9:17:45 AM

hang-the-9 said:
The memory cards have a limited number or read/write cycles, so yes, using it non-stop will wear it out faster. How long it's expected to last, check the manufacturer's specs for your card.

Phone shound not get "too hot", but will warm up due to CPU use, it should not do anything bad to the phone, but is not exactly good for it, so life span has a chance of shortening.

Lets say its a Transcend Memory Card MicroSD 32GB Class 4. How much do you think it can handle?
Related resources
a b I Smartphone
June 27, 2013 10:24:21 AM

Anonymous said:
hang-the-9 said:

Lets say its a Transcend Memory Card MicroSD 32GB Class 4. How much do you think it can handle?

You can check the vendor's site, it's pretty much what anyone else would do.
Anonymous
June 27, 2013 10:57:59 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Anonymous said:
hang-the-9 said:

You can check the vendor's site, it's pretty much what anyone else would do.

I checked the vendor's site already, but there is only info about durability in terms of the insertion/removal cycles. There is no info about the read/write cycles. There is no info on how much data can be written to it before it fails to work.

The answer I'm looking for is: Memory cards in general can handle n GB of writes to them for n years/months before they fail.

For example: 1 GB of data can be written to a 32 GB memory card every 24 hours for 4 years after which it fails to work.

Sorry for not making that question clear enough. I hope I made it clear enough this time.

By the way, thank you for responding :)  :) 
a b I Smartphone
June 28, 2013 5:18:05 AM

There is no general info about that, each product would have different lifespans. You won't be able to tell exactly how much use the card is getting anyway in the phone aside from how much data gets written on it. The usage goes to 10,000 read/write cycles to 10+ times that amount. http://www.scribd.com/doc/7010228/CORSAIR-USB-Flash-Wea...
June 30, 2013 8:39:56 AM

My Advice, will be to remove the battery from the phone. and since its downloading 24/7, Connect the phone to the main. If you leave the battery in, it will cause damage? < Infact, some phones can do that, try it.

and It WILL Damage the BATTERY Of your phone if you use it 24/7. :( 

!