Which gtx 780 is the right choice?

Hadarace

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I'm buying a gtx 780 for my new rig and was wondering which is my best option. My original plan was to get the Evga SC with ACX, but then I started to think about it some more.

I plan on eventually getting another for sli (about 80% sure I will buy one within the next 3-4 months or so). Would I be better off going with the reference cooler so heat gets channeled out the back of my case and not onto each other? I have a cooler master HAF X (with added extra top fan for total of 5). Also plan on replacing my CPU cooler (CM-212) with a closed block liquid cooler eventually incase that matters.

I'm kind of afraid of throttling with the reference, but not sure if the acx would be bad in sli.

Also is there any disadvantage of using two different GPU's of the same model for sli? Because I was thinking of getting the Evga FTW or classified for my second card once they come out (but that choice depends on the answer to my first question).

Stealth117

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

EVGA is fine. At worst one card will be slighlty faster than the other but very unnoticeable.

Hadarace

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Anyone care to go a bit more in depth? No offence but a three word answer isn't enough when i'm going to be spending $650 lol. Thanks for the second answer though, i figured as much but thought I'd make sure.

Every bit of (informed) info and opinion is considered helpful. I would love to get it figured out ASAP so I can buy one quickly when it comes in stock. Thanks.

Hadarace

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I went with the SC ACX because I was finally able to find it in stock.

I wouldn't mind hearing opinions on what to get for the second card for eventual SLI though. Leaning towards 780 classified.

Or would a SC reference be better for the blower?

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
As a 780 owner i would push you to something else. While its an amazing card the price/performance sucks.

The 780 classified is only needed if you plan on using LN2

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

780 is a sweet card. I had mine listed on CL for an hour and had 4 people lined up for it :lol: