Cooling paste fail? Or is this within standards -> Acer aspire 7750G

wopwapper

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I want to know the opinion from the experts here about what you think of the cooling paste job on the CPU & GPU from my Acer aspire 7750G.

I began to get some overheating problems with this laptop (idle 65 degrees and load 95-100! degrees) , and decided to take it apart since dust was already (mostly) removed. When i came to see the CPU and GPU i noticed the following:

The CPU:
33aths4.jpg

The GPU (with sticky plastic around)

33p52yg.jpg

The GPU (without sticky plastic around, cleaned except edges):

2s8l8p1.jpg

Since i already was this far disassembling the laptop, i removed and cleaned the paste and put some brand new paste on the cpu & gpu.

Differences? Idle min. 50 degrees & load max. 80 degrees.

The (simple) question: Would you rate this cooling paste job as professional or amateur?

As for me, i would consider it a job not done. Seems to me a bit too much, and if this would be called "normal" for acer, this would be my first and last laptop to buy from them.

Kari

Splendid
most of the pastes willl eventually dry up and lose their heat conductive capabilities, so what you're seeing isn't really anything unusual as such. Though to last only 2 years is a bit dissapointing.... (the date on the amd chip is week 17 year 11, so the laptop has probably been assembled shortly after)

The amount of paste is pretty generous, but at least on the gpu the resulting layer has been rather thin around the edges, the heatsink might be abit concave anyways so there is a bit more left in the center. So yeah, they assemble these things in a bit of a hurry anyways so I'd say they've done pretty good job with some cheap paste.

wopwapper

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I've always been very cautious when applying cooling paste to previous build PC systems. I always believed (or have been taught) that applying too much could harm performances, and therefore always made sure the paste didn't "leave" the heatsink itself. But i could be wrong with that one. But of course, considering it to be made in a factory i can't expect too much (or can i?..) i suppose.

The laptop itself is indeed from 2011 (that's when it was build) However, i have been using it only for a year. And i've been having these overheating problems since 3-4 months ago, until now of course. I must say it was really worth the try to take apart the laptop and replacing the paste.

The min & max turned out to be even lower than what i said, idle 35-40 and load 65-70 degrees. Costs: 8 euro's for some paste & a little of my time.