LGA 1155 or 2011?

eecer

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
So I've been designing my PC for a little while now, it will be the first PC I build for gaming. Here are the two designs that I have:
LGA 1155: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/eecer/saved/1R9q
LGA 2011: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/eecer/saved/1R9w

Now my big issue with which one to choose is preparation for future updates. If I pick the LGA 1155 I figure I have three or four years till I will want to update it, and that would involve a completely new motherboard and CPU. On the other hand, if I pick the 2011, I will most likely be ready to update just the CPU a savings of $150-$200 in the future which is how much it will cost me now, and possibly delay the upgrade by another year or so. But, there's also the chance that with the release of DDR4 or other developments I will be inclined to get a new motherboard anyway, thus paying the extra $200 now might not be worth it. A bit of a conundrum that I've put myself in. I almost feel that I should just start with the LGA 1155 since it is my first gaming PC, so it will meet all my standards, but there's also thinking about future games is important to me as well.

Also if you have any suggestions about the builds themselves, please let me know. I've done a bit of research with everything and the recent release of the GTX 760 pleased me because I was wondering whether or not to get the HD 7870 or 7950.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The 2011 is a great socket, great CPUs, as is the 1155, but there's the good possibility that they are at the end of their life cycle as of now, nothing is laid in stone if their will be future CPU upgrades, the latest is the 1150 and Haswell, to be followed by Broadwell, and there, the time frame is up in the air, , then toss in DDR4 is suppose to be around the corner and all mobos will be changing to that (possibly like the leter 775 socket mobos that could run either/or DDR2/3, we might see either/or DDR3/4....If budget wasn't a concern, I'd go the 2011 and as much CPU and DRAM as I could, else the best I could do in the budget on the 1155

eecer

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

well that's where I'm not sure. I would like to stay under $1400. Which both do, but to save $400 or $200 is a bit of a difference for some accessories. Essentially I want something that's the best option for the next three or four years, which is where the 2011 could make future upgrading easier and cheaper, or show that purchasing it now was a waste of money.