Choosing a motherboard - i5 4670k

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hi there.
Im fairly new to the pc building world (other than replacing and changing components), I haven't really dabbled in the realms of motherboards and processors and all that.
Basically I'm after a motherboard to fit an i5 4670k (Chosen because it is fairly inexpensive and is still and excellent processor). I am going to have a Z11 Plus case for it and two graphics cards. I don't really know where to start when finding one but I would like someone to recommend or even tell me what to look for and what would be required for me to do all of this.
I am not planning on overclocking yet but may do so in the future.
Thanks in advance.

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Is this able to support the cases front 2 USB 3 and 2 USB 2 ports? Also what is the maximum ram I can have on this?

TheMentalist

Distinguished
The ASUS Z87-A has about the same specs but its $10 cheaper. Will support SLI and 32GB ram.
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 is less than that, $140 and got the specs you want(usb,sli,ram)

But hey, what gfx cards will you use? nvidia or amd?

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Not sure whether I will or not. Never done it before but if I do, it will be a Couple of years down the line. And nvidia. I'm more familiar with intel and amd.

TheMentalist

Distinguished

Ok mate, get the ASUS Z87-K then. It wont support SLI only CFX(if you're getting amd gfx cards). For the rest it got all the features you wanted. It will also support OCing, if you ever want to.

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Would The MSI Z87-G45 be an even better option. Its £20 more but has two pci-e3 slots which on the z87-k I can only see one slot?

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Alright thanks :) What is the best RAM to buy. I've usually just gone for the appropriate size of DDR3 as cheap as possible, any other reccomendations?

kylel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Simple as that? Also I think I'm going to get 8GB. Anything more is too expensive for my budget and pretty unnecessary really. Should I get 1x8GB, 2x4GB, 4x2GB or a combination? I hear the less chips the better when overclocking as it can cause heating but but I am going watercooled and could just run a tube between the chips.

TRENDING THREADS