PCIe for Mobile Launched; PCIe 3.1, 4.0 Specs Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm interested in the OCuLink. Perhaps it will finally give us mass market external video card enclosures if Thunderbolt or USB doesn't get there first.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
as of right now unless you are running 3 highend gpus in a crossfire type of setup you will be extremely hard pressed for anything else to saturate pci-e 2.0 bandwidth. now they are talking pci-e 4.0?????

egowhip69

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
BigMack, while you are probably correct in the desktop / consumer market, for enterprise, more speed is always better, and there will always be cards ready to take advantage.

I just spent several hours in a meeting explaining why a 4 port fiber card wouldn't be any benefit in several of our servers due to their PCIe 2.0 spec. There just wasn't any more speed coming out of the PCIe links. Moving to PCIe 3.0 would have removed that bottleneck, but that means buying a new server. With a 4.0 slot, I could run quad 16Gb links without a bottleneck.

(assuming the cards at 8x electrical... which seems to be a pretty accepted standard for both the server cards and motherboards.)

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
the external pci-e cables specs have been around since 2009. yet no one implement it. that what's will happen with oculink.
unfortunately thunderbolt is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS