Sign in with
Your question

Are these normal CPU temps for stock cooler?

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2013 12:39:38 PM

Hello. I recently bought new PC and I have been worried about CPU temps.
I am getting about 48-55c on idle and 75c max on load (playing game on max settings). I'm using stock cooler and ambient temperature is about 30c. Are these OK?

Specs:
Case: Cooler Master Elite K(night) 350, Black,
PSU: SEASONIC S12 II, 620W, 80+ BRONZE ,
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K,
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K (3.4GHz, 6MB Cache, LGA1150),
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE BLACK, 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHZ, CL9, KIT OF 2, LOW PROFILE,
GPU: Asus Radeon HD7950, 3GB, GDDR5, DirectCU II V2,
HDD: Seagate 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, Sata III, Barracuda.

I haven't overclocked anything.

Here are the temps:

BTW, are these mainboard tems correct, because I don't think that it could get so hot and when I touch the case, it isn't hot at all.

More about : normal cpu temps stock cooler

June 28, 2013 1:28:01 PM

Honestly, you really need to just check out the core temps as they're most important when it comes to your CPU. It actually seems to be running a little hotter than it should. What is your case fan situation looking like?
June 28, 2013 1:40:57 PM

StrikeMyrmidon said:
Honestly, you really need to just check out the core temps as they're most important when it comes to your CPU. It actually seems to be running a little hotter than it should. What is your case fan situation looking like?

By case fan you mean fan that came together with case? I'm sorry if I'm asking dump questions, but I'm new to all this.
Here is the link to the website and it shows all specs,etc about my case: link

BTW, I installed another CPU temp checker(SpeedFan), and it reports that CPU is about 37c° idle and 67c° to 70° on load and I can't understand why temps are so diffirent between both programs...

Related resources
a c 122 à CPUs
June 28, 2013 1:52:04 PM

Because they interpret sensor values differently. Software isn't always reliable; as an example, your mainboard can't be hot enough to cook a meal.
June 28, 2013 2:38:01 PM

GhislainG said:
Because they interpret sensor values differently. Software isn't always reliable; as an example, your mainboard can't be hot enough to cook a meal.

So you are saying that 100c° motherboard might be wrong? Well, I kinda agree because when it's so hot then my case should be hot atleast someplace, but when I'm checking it's cold and almost no sight of 110c°. Plus dosen't BIOS shut down the computer when motherboard is over 100c°?
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2013 2:46:29 PM

I believe that 100C reading is inaccurate and incorrect. Does your motherboard have a monitoring section in the bios?
a c 122 à CPUs
June 28, 2013 3:10:56 PM

At 110°C the motherboard would be very unstable, but unlike a CPU, it doesn't shutdown the system. 110°C is hotter than boiling water; you couldn't touch the area of the motherboard where the sensor is located without burning your finger. You can safely presume the software doesn't read the sensor correctly. It's impossible for a developper to test and accurately report temperatures for all motherboards. Even software provided by the motherboard manufacturer often is inaccurate.
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2013 3:27:12 PM

exploder2013 said:
By case fan you mean fan that came together with case? I'm sorry if I'm asking dump questions, but I'm new to all this.
Yes, case fans are the fans installed on the inside of your case walls. They're in charge of sucking in cool air and blowing out hot air. How many fans are in your case? How many are intake and how many are exhaust? Have you left it completely stock since you got it?

Those CPU temps seem higher than they should be. Have you overclocked the CPU at all? Mine idles in the 30s and doesn't go above 55 even at load. Perhaps the cooler wasn't properly attached to it so it's cooling as well as it could be.

But as others have said, that mboard temp reading is very odd and may indicate that all the temp sensors aren't being read correctly.

June 28, 2013 4:04:03 PM

the mobo 110 C is probably a miss read. My PC also does this on HW monitor but bios shows it correctly. Check your Bios please and report back.
June 28, 2013 4:52:46 PM

I opened the case and checked for fans, etc. There is one fan that comes together with the case as far as I saw. I haven't overclocked the CPU.

What the BIOS is saying about CPU temp:
and secound image that gives little more info about CPU:

Here is picture of CPU fan:
And here is the extra fan that came together with case(it's placed in front of the case):

Are fans correctly placed and everything connected correctly and should I change CPU Fan Profile to Turbo(currently it's standard)?

Thank you.
June 28, 2013 5:15:18 PM

to me everything looks nice they say the new i5-4670K runs hotter then Ivy Bridge, from my understanding 40 - 45+ on idle on a stock heat-sink should be OK, correct me if I am wrong, what temps are you running when playing a game or doing something when the CPU is under load? also I would look for if you can not turn off the Intel HD Graphics in the bios if its not turned off.
June 29, 2013 1:50:47 AM

Shadsy said:
to me everything looks nice they say the new i5-4670K runs hotter then Ivy Bridge, from my understanding 40 - 45+ on idle on a stock heat-sink should be OK, correct me if I am wrong, what temps are you running when playing a game or doing something when the CPU is under load? also I would look for if you can not turn off the Intel HD Graphics in the bios if its not turned off.

When playing GTA IV on max my CPU is (as SpeedFan reports) about 65-70c°. I tried to look around in BIOS and didn't find a way to turn off Intel HD Graphics, meybe someone more experienced then me who has same motherboard (or similar) can tell me how to turn off Intel HD Graphics.
June 29, 2013 3:36:33 AM

I googled a bit and it seems that 60 - 70 °C under load seems to be normal, I wish I could help you more maybe buy a 3rd party better heat-sink then the stock one.

Most people who post cpu temps are OCs so I don't know what should be the stock temps on this CPUs. But people are saying that the 4th Gen Intel CPUs run much hotter then the 3rd gen intel.

alot of people recommend Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO it seems to be a very good and cheap heat-sink. or Arctic Freezer 13 :) 
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2013 5:49:53 AM

exploder2013 said:
BTW, I installed another CPU temp checker(SpeedFan), and it reports that CPU is about 37c° idle and 67c° to 70° on load and I can't understand why temps are so diffirent between both programs...

The reason is actually quite simple. The equation for calculating the temperature is as follows:

1. Temp = TjMax - Distance to TjMax

Each Digital Thermal Sensor outputs the current relative temperature from the maximum Tjunction temperature (the point at which the CPU will begin throttling itself to prevent further temperature increases), but not an absolute temperature. Therefore in order to give an absolute temperature the software needs to use the above equation.

Unfortunately the TjMax "constant" (it's constant in that an individual CPU core's TjMax never changes) is almost never actually known, and so each application has a value that the developer thinks is about right. For i7, i5 etc Intel have made it easier by providing a roundabout value but it's not guaranteed to be exactly right for any given core. Of course some applications don't use it, and so they may have significantly different temperature readings to those that do.
June 29, 2013 7:26:16 AM

I guess going for Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO is the best choice as it only costs 40$. If it makes my temps about 7-10c° lower it would be perfect.

I have found it on this site (my country), could someone tell me if this is the right thing?
Link: http://datori.dataleks.lv/lv/item/cpu-coolers-dzesetaji:10573

And now I understand why temps were so slightly diffirent in both programs, good to know.
June 29, 2013 7:53:49 AM

yes that is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO :)  I wish you good luck with it :)  and try to find the Intel HD graphics in bios and turn it off, if its possible :)  good luck regardless ;) 
June 29, 2013 8:27:11 AM

Shadsy said:
yes that is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO :)  I wish you good luck with it :)  and try to find the Intel HD graphics in bios and turn it off, if its possible :)  good luck regardless ;) 

OK, huge thanks to you and everyone else who helped. I definetly got huge knowledge in this thread, and I know what to do now, thanks everyone!

Edit: I think I have found a way how to disable Intel HD Graphics. There is a option in BIOS called System Agent Configuration and inside there I can select graphics device for primary display, there I chose PCI and I guess that did the job.
!