3rd gen vs 4th gen intel processors

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I just bought my PC in December last year . Its only been 6 months and now i have heard that 4th generation is out. I have a 2500k with z77x UD3H Gigabyte motherboard. I wanted to go with 3570k but I could not find it in the market so i went with 2500k , because I heard that both were almost same.

Now again Intel has come up with new processors. I wanted to know whether there is some difference between 3rd gen and 4th gen CPUs. Are they better?

Also what is hyper-threading. Does 2500k support hyper-threading?
I got confused with what DarkSable said
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1693311/difference-3rd-generation-4th-generation.html

Will my PC survive in future, at least for five years or so?

Guardian22

Honorable
May 13, 2013
There's not much difference between the 3rd generation and 4th gen cpus, the 4th gen cpus have different socket LGA 1150. There is a slight performance gain in the 4th gen cpus compared to the 3rd gen ones. No, i5 cpus don't support hyperthreading. Games don't use hyperthreading.Hyper-threading (officially Hyper-Threading Technology or HT Technology, abbreviated HTT or HT) is Intel's proprietary simultaneous multithreading (SMT) implementation used to improve parallelization of computations (doing multiple tasks at once) performed on PC microprocessors. It first appeared in February 2002 on Xeon server processors and in November 2002 on Pentium 4 desktop CPUs.[1] Later, Intel included this technology in Itanium, Atom, and Core 'i' Series CPUs, among others.

Another thing, no one knows how future proof hardware is, hardware is changing every year. You can use a time machine if u have one.

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013

You won't need an upgrade right now. Your 2500K is perfectly fine.

Hyper-Threading is a technology used to make 2 theards for 1 core. Some tasks benefit from having a single powerful core. Other's benefit from having more threads to work with. Hyper-Threading make the 4 cores of an i7 appear as 8. Programs that benefit from more cores will benefit from that. But if you are just gaming, you won't see much difference.

If there wasn't a new console generation coming, you would probably be fine for a few more years with a good overclock. But the next-gen consoles are having AMD multi-core CPUs. Games will start using them more efficiently.

Maybe 4 Intel cores will be enough. Also, games might be optimised to use AMD's 8 cores CPU better. We can't really know right now.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

I find the whole idea that the next gen consoles will magically make amd processors better at pc games to be kind of a desperate reach.

There are games that use as many cores as you have now, and even then at BEST 8 core amd cpu's merely match a 4 core i5.

Overclock the i5 and it's not even close, and that's not even taking into account 99th percentile fps/latency issues.

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Maybe AMD will be better next gen. Maybe not.

Take for example the PS3. It has a singe core, 7 thread CPU. At first, developers could not properly use that architecture. Now Sony's first-party studios make awesome things with it. Uncharted 3, The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls are fine examples.

They've learned to break down the tasks into jobs for individual threads. Its like this they've been able to fully take advantage of the PS3's supercomputer architecture.

Now, the game industry got the same thing but on an 8 core x86 architecture. Of course the cores will be utilized fully.

But its unlikely that Intel's architecture will be left behind. Its just that AMD might rise to its former glory.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

In cpu bound games like skyrim the 4670k is actually about 20% faster than a 2500k at equal clocks.

A 4.4ghz 4670k is roughly equal to a 2500k at 5.2ghz.

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I think that number of cores is just a Show-off because A.M.D.s 8 core is not that worthy, as that of Intel. Even mobile phones today come with many cores. So ,it' just a number I think. Though, there would be something the octa-core has been put up for in the new consoles

deepanshumunjal

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Sorry to ask you guys, but I don't see a "Select as best Answer" button anymore . Not even the option of poll/discussion. Has it been removed?

Core count does matter, but it has to be matched with a good architecture to be executed good enough, high core count cpus have been used for servers for a while and id say thats not for showing off, as its needed. For gaming a amd 8 core will not be used as often as ud want it too, but is a good competing budget cpu to the i5 for gaming and multi task/thread applications.

For phones and consoles there cpus are completely different than a standard desktop cpu, and are produced to fit the need of product, the new xbox and ps4 will make a big improvement for console gaming and for phones sure they can throw quad cores in them, but still not near the experience of a desktop or console for gaming. For consoles and phones programs and apps get written to the hardware that is used and for consoles games can get coded to utilize multicore alot better as the hardware setup for consoles dont change and have a variety of desktops

Also the programs and games for pcs need to be written to use those extra cores as games have been slowly going towards

HardwareDude83

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

If you have to be asking these questions about if you should upgrade from a 1155 Socke to an 1150 depending on what games you are running then stick with a higher end GPU. I personally am gonna need to see a new gen of CPU that is ridicylasly fasst before my system gets replaced