How to be untraceable online, or at least keep identities separate?

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I don't like that everything I do is traceable online. I like to keep my online identities compartmentalized and separate and I don't like that anything I do an official "work" capacity is conflated with everything I do personally. I've realized that most website probably track the IP addresses of users/visitors/commentators, and that makes me uncomfortable. What are my options?

I would be willing to spend a bit of money for a guaranteed way to have separate IP addresses and limit how much I can be traced online, but I do want the absolute cheapest solution. I've tried some free proxy servers, but the IP source is still my personal home IP address. (I've tested this by setting up a StatCounter analyzer on a Tumblr page and visiting the Tumblr page with various proxies but the IP listed is still mine and it only lists the proxy site as being the referral URL.) I need a way to just have a different IP address -- proxies don't see like a great solution. Unplugging my modem for hours and hours hoping I get assigned a new IP when I re-plug doesn't seem like a great option either, especially since my modem also is needed for my land phone line. (I'm also not sure it would even work.) Could I set up my own server? Get a new modem? Is there a paid service I could use? I don't want to "ghost" or "spoof" or whatever if there's a a decent chance my ISP would find out and shut off my service. If I could change IP addresses regularly that'd be great, but even if I could just have two that I can switch between, that would be nice. Also, are IP addresses the only thing I need to worry about, realistically?

I am a Windows 7 user and I connect to a desktop via LAN and laptops wirelessly. I currently have Time Warner, which issued me an Arris TM602G. Thanks!

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Bump.