Intel HD 4600 vs.Nvidia GT 740m GGDR3 GK208

Maikky

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
So I have an option of either going from 8gb of ram to 16gb OR staying with 8gb of ram and having just 740m . Keep in mind the nvidia is the slower GK208 verity .

My concern is that looking at the benchmarks that are online (may or may not be true) it seems the 740m may not be that big of a jump from what I will be doing plus it also bumps up the weight due to the 120w brick vs. 90w .

What I am asking is that is it worth it to get the 740m if I don't plan on doing heavy gaming (even with the dGPU looking at the benchmark it doesn't seem like it would be able to handle inc new MMOs), I will be doing mostly video/image editing work, maybe some 3D cad work in the future, and the 4600's benchmarks don't seem that bad for my price range .

I'm basing my thoughts on the articles here which seem to be a reliable source .

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.86106.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.89900.0.html

Another question is that can CUDA-cert'ed Nvidia GPUs use OpenCL ? I know jack about GPUs but I have to ask because I see that the Intel iGPU supports OpenCL .

TLDR - Should I go for 16gb of Ram or a Gaming CPU if I don't plan on gaming heavily + a lot of editing work . And even then, I have doubts that dGPU can even handle future games .

if you have gaming in mind going for 740m might be better. nvidia gpu can do opencl but i heard nvidia did not released opencl optimised driver for their card yet and still put much of their focus on CUDA.

Maikky

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Do you have any data or can explain why it would be better ?

Sorry to sound like a hard-ass but when I'm spending this much, I can't leave room for fault .

I simply point that 740 m might be better choice for you since you mention you want to do a bit of gaming with your lappy. Other advantage going for 740m might be how frequent the driver get updated compared to intel igp. I know intel already plan to step up their effort for graphic stuff but still right now nvidia still better on the aspect.

TRENDING THREADS