Sign in with
Your question

How many replacement fans do I need in my upcoming build with a CM Storm Stryker case?

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2013 12:02:06 AM

The parts for this PC I've decided on are:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1 OEM
Intel Core i7 3930K
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker Case
Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler
(Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan) x 2 to replace the fans on the cpu cooler
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD Retail Box
ASUS PCE-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 PCI-E Adapter
CoolerMaster E2 Gold Thermal Paste
Seasonic X-850 80Plus Gold 850W
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2B2133C9 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3x2 for 16GB RAM
LG GH24NS95 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

I want to overclock both the CPU and my graphics card and I was wondering how many fans I should replace/add to my case since it comes with six stock fans, which I assume are coolermaster, since it's a coolermaster case? I'm a little confused about the whole push-pull, push-push and pull-pull thing with fan setup, especially on the bottom of a case and on a radiator, so I would appreciate if someone could explain that. I've heard excellent things about the performance and silence from Noctua fans so I was wondering if they were the best way to go, since I'm not that fussed about spending a bit extra.

More about : replacement fans upcoming build storm stryker case

a c 75 Ô Samsung
a c 601 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2013 5:54:05 AM

Only add or replace fans to correct a deficiency.

Are the existing fans too loud? Replace them, or slow them down.
Are the temps too high? Reconfigure or replace.

Wait until you have the thing up and running before you start replacing stuff.
June 30, 2013 5:56:00 AM

ah ok so it's not necessary to take the stock fans out? :) 
Related resources
a c 75 Ô Samsung
a c 601 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2013 5:56:28 AM

As for the push-pull business.....generally you want intake at the front and bottom front, and exhaust at the back and top.
You're trying to move air through the case, not just blow it around.

Bring in cool air, blow out hot air. And hot air rises.
June 30, 2013 6:00:43 AM

USAFRet said:
As for the push-pull business.....generally you want intake at the front and bottom front, and exhaust at the back and top.

ah ok and would it be a good idea to remove the fans that come stock with the corsair radiator? cause i've heard it really does help to replace them with the noctua fans. would it also be a good idea to mount a fan on the bottom? cause there's room to? http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...
a c 75 Ô Samsung
a c 601 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2013 6:06:50 AM

superdonny67 said:
USAFRet said:

ah ok and would it be a good idea to remove the fans that come stock with the corsair radiator? cause i've heard it really does help to replace them with the noctua fans. would it also be a good idea to mount a fan on the bottom? cause there's room to? http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

Try it with the original fans first.

As for the bottom? More fans are not always beneficial. More noise for maybe not much gain in cooling.
Again....try it out first. See what happens. If then you see a problem, address that problem.
June 30, 2013 6:09:27 AM

USAFRet said:
superdonny67 said:
USAFRet said:

Try it with the original fans first.

As for the bottom? More fans are not always beneficial. More noise for maybe not much gain in cooling.
Again....try it out first. See what happens. If then you see a problem, address that problem.

ah ok, thanks man :)  could you give me an opinion on the overall build? if there's anything that should be changed? cause i've been getting mixed opinions on RAM, PSU and SSD.
a c 75 Ô Samsung
a c 601 $ Windows 7
June 30, 2013 6:14:41 AM

superdonny67 said:

ah ok, thanks man :)  could you give me an opinion on the overall build? if there's anything that should be changed? cause i've been getting mixed opinions on RAM, PSU and SSD.

What will you be using it for?
1. The i7 and the 16GB RAM may be a bit overkill.
2. Also the 256GB SSD. Maybe think about a 128 instead.
3. Why wireless? For a desktop, unless there is a specific need, wired is faster and far more secure.
June 30, 2013 3:01:31 PM

the people i talked to recommended getting enough ram to utilise the quad channel ability of my motherboad and that it would be better to get a larger ssd, since i could put windows on there, plus all the games i want to play. also i'm going wireless cause the router is a bit of a way from my room
!