Thoughts on my $3000 and over gaming rig, would appreciate opinions and feedback

superdonny67

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
The parts for this PC I've decided on are:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1 OEM
Intel Core i7 3930K
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker Case
Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler
(Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan) x 2 to replace the fans on the cpu cooler
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD Retail Box
ASUS PCE-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 PCI-E Adapter
CoolerMaster E2 Gold Thermal Paste
Seasonic X-850 80Plus Gold 850W
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2B2133C9 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3x2 for 16GB RAM
LG GH24NS95 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

I want to overclock both the CPU and my graphics card and I was wondering how many fans I should replace/add to my case since it comes with six stock fans, which I assume are coolermaster, since it's a coolermaster case? I'm a little confused about the whole push-pull, push-push and pull-pull thing with fan setup, especially on the bottom of a case and on a radiator, so I would appreciate if someone could explain that. I've heard excellent things about the performance and silence from Noctua fans so I was wondering if they were the best way to go, since I'm not that fussed about spending a bit extra.

superdonny67

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

ahah awesome, thanks, btw what's wrong with the paste? also any 24" monitors you would recommend?

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

If I were you I´d start with one or two front/bottom/sidepanel intake fans and one or two exhaust fans at the rear and/or top.
If you feel like your temps are not as good as you want them to be, just add another one or two fans.
Same applies if you feel like the included fans are not as good or as quiet as you want them to be.

I am not sure what you want to have explained, so I´ll just give you a few key points:
A push-pull configuration on your rad will give you slightly better temps (maybe up to 3 or 4°C) at the cost of more noise. Depending on the fans used, of course.
Push-pull means you mount all four fans blowing in the same direction. Two push air through the rad and two pull air through it.
Usually, you have two general mounting positions for your rad(s): As an intake or as an exhaust.
Intake usually gives you better cooling performance regarding the CPU and is supposed to be a bit more quiet. However, the general temperature in your case might increase since you are blowing warm air inwards. Also, it could ruin your airflow, depending on your installation points.

I recently bought my first Noctuas, too, and am very impressed.
The point about Noctua fans is that they offer great performance at very low noise...but at a high price.
There are probably a lot of fans from other manufacturers that could compete with Noctuas in terms of performance and even beat them. But they would probably be pretty loud.

So yeah, I think Noctua fans are pretty much top of the line fans. Especially when it comes to pressure optimized versions.

superdonny67

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
do you think it would be better to have just two fans on my radiator then and monitor my temperatures? also i heard that you can buy temperature monitors that have screens and you attach the probes to diferent places? worth it? it's not going to be much noise from the stock fans is it?

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I´d say yes.
If you notice some temp problems laterone, you can still add more fans. Or look for some really good offer or something like that.

I´ve got one myself. It´s a pretty cool thing actually.
But I used it mainly for turning my case fans automatically off when just idleing.
I got one from Scythe for slightly under 30€ and I think it was well worth it.

IMO you don´t necessarily need one high-end fan controller for 80 bucks or something. Just make sure it has all the features you want.

No idea actually. Don´t know your stock fans. Also, everybody is different when it comes to noise. ;)
But like I said: If you don´t like them or if they are too noisy, you can just replace them.

When I was choosing mine, I looked at that one, too.
But for me it was a bit "too much". ;)

superdonny67

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013