Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Alienware Admits Consoles Are Now Resembling PCs

Last response: in News comments
June 30, 2013 6:14:52 AM

Resembling but not surpassing. Hopefully this will make console ports to PC more bearable now.
Score
June 30, 2013 6:20:18 AM

I love building computers and playing PC games... But how am I going to get the new Okami, Catherine, Monster Hunter, Rez, Siren, Virtua Fighter, Lumines, Tekken, Silent Hill, Katamari, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, The Last Guardian and the like on PC? Not that PC doesn't have its own strengths (FPS, RTS, MMO's, Simulation.... ect)

Also wanted to note that I realize the amount of genres you regularly see on the PC have been expanding since Steam. Was surprised to see SFIV on PC. Still a lot of work to be done until the need for me to have a console to play these games is no more.
Score
June 30, 2013 6:23:17 AM

I'm just stoked about the new XboxOne and PS4 because its x86 and the games being x86 means the PC will get more games on release. We also have more console users because the cost of a PS4 vs a high end PC is black and white. PS4 = $399, My PC, custom build, all parts from newegg.com = $3100 +/-. Of course I can do much more than a PS4 can but for gaming the PC is a HUGE hit to my pocket book.
Score
June 30, 2013 6:35:24 AM

The hardware may be advancing yes, albeit AMD garbage, but it doesn't change the fact that you still have the console format, no upgrades, a terrible, useless OS and no control. Maybe in another few generations it may truly match PC versatility, but I dont think it ever will
Score
June 30, 2013 6:52:35 AM

codo said:
The hardware may be advancing yes, albeit AMD garbage, but it doesn't change the fact that you still have the console format, no upgrades, a terrible, useless OS and no control. Maybe in another few generations it may truly match PC versatility, but I dont think it ever will

Fanboy talks have no integrity. Similar like dust blown by wind.
Score
June 30, 2013 7:07:43 AM

I always thought the XBox360 and PS3 resembled PC's (from a hardware perspective), but it's true, this most recent gen will resembles PC's far more than in the past. I hope this does equate to better game performance across the board, and less headache for developers to deliver to the different platforms.
Score
June 30, 2013 7:13:49 AM

Yes they resemble PCs. Yes they have hardware like PCs. But I can still open a browser without having a magnifying glass just to see what I'm putting in. My graphics look better and I can mod the games *legally*. I can upgrade my PC and I don't have to pay for PSN or XBL like the new consoles will make you. Do I care about killzone? I can run an emulator on a PC for those games.
Score
June 30, 2013 8:18:15 AM

Man, is anyone not realizing the architecture differences in these consoles compared to the PC? I absolutely love my pc (i7 3820 @ 4.2Ghz, 8GB of 2100Mhz, 660 Ti) but these consoles ARE in a league of their own. Between the gameplay I have seen VS. the specifications they have, it's simply amazing what they are capable of doing on a unified operating system/hardware setup.

The first thing I said to my buddies was that they resemble PC's physically and obviously hardware wise. I will be patiently awaiting to see what they can do with them.
Score
June 30, 2013 8:18:25 AM

codo said:

If the console satisfied all the criteria you mentioned, it would in essence be a PC which would defy the concept of a console. Considering the price and the arsenal of games, I'd say its a good investment considering the average lifespan of a console. You don't have to worry about upgrades since all games will run well inspite of the hardware aging. All that said I am a PC gamer since my uses go beyond gaming and I am happy with the console hardware being more PC like since it makes things more better for PC gamers
Score
June 30, 2013 9:04:42 AM

codo said:

Whats wrong with AMD hardware? Their graphics cards are just as good as Nvidia and quite often better at the price points.

Granted their cpu is not as strong as intel but thats mainly due to poor game optimisation for their architecture. However this is not a problem on consoles as the games are made specificly to run on the hardware. Also they have the best unified solution making it cheaper, more energy efficient and easier to cool.

so obviously you have no idea what you are talking about
Score
June 30, 2013 9:06:58 AM

you dont get to say "whats wrong with amd hardware" and then tell someone else they dont know what they are talking about.
Score
June 30, 2013 9:16:59 AM

codo said:
you dont get to say "whats wrong with amd hardware" and then tell someone else they dont know what they are talking about.

Wow great counter argument, how about giving some reasons as to why AMD isnt the best firm to use to create x86 consoles.

you just look like an uneducated fanboy atm
Score
June 30, 2013 9:25:30 AM

This has been obvious for sometime now, each generation of console hardware has incorperated PC oriented features. Since around the sixth generation of console hardware we've been seeing this, the inclusion of networking, then eventually HDD's instead of memory cards, then cloud computing features and media streaming and now the x86 architechture all in which are features of any modern PC.

The real difference has always been content, as consoles still are mainly video gaming machines so we see lots of gaming content that is exclusive to there realm. So consoles are still different in a sense and are still needed for those who what to play that exclusive content like GTA V and what not. That's the main selling point for someone like myself who isn't big on recording video and sharing it with my friends over Twitch or having the ability to manipulate my TV through my console.
Score
June 30, 2013 9:36:11 AM

well too be fair, if u have a quick enough system, i bet there will be someone out there that will port the games to PC unofficially, or even run the PS4's or XBOne's O/S onto there PC, this will then open the PC to being the best platform out there, because it would play amazing PC games with amazing spec, and then possibly adding the power of the console games toboot
Score
June 30, 2013 9:42:26 AM

shadowfamicom said:
I love building computers and playing PC games... But how am I going to get the new Okami, Catherine, Monster Hunter, Rez, Siren, Virtua Fighter, Lumines, Tekken, Silent Hill, Katamari, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, The Last Guardian and the like on PC? Not that PC doesn't have its own strengths (FPS, RTS, MMO's, Simulation.... ect)

Also wanted to note that I realize the amount of genres you regularly see on the PC have been expanding since Steam. Was surprised to see SFIV on PC. Still a lot of work to be done until the need for me to have a console to play these games is no more.

Emulators. Anything that is half as powerful at a 2500k @ 3.2 and as powerful as a gtx 560 ti can run most games at 1080p (with a cpu bottleneck), if you have something like a 2500k @ 4.2 (like me) the only problems is occasional lag in games like MGS2 and Starfox adventures.

Score
June 30, 2013 9:47:32 AM

1zacster said:

Emulators. Anything that is half as powerful at a 2500k @ 3.2 and as powerful as a gtx 560 ti can run most games at 1080p (with a cpu bottleneck), if you have something like a 2500k @ 4.2 (like me) the only problems is occasional lag in games like MGS2 and Starfox adventures.

Your saying PC's are going to be able to emulate these new console games? Maybe in 10 years. MAYBE.
Score
June 30, 2013 9:57:50 AM

Kevin Parrish said:
Of course, in one argument, one could say PC is leading because of games like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, World of Tanks and the huge number of free-to-play MMORPGs like DDO, Lord of the Rings, The New Republic and yes, even FarmVille.

Please at least try a little harder to get the names of games right its Star wars the OLD republic lol not new its 3000 years before the moves
Score
June 30, 2013 10:30:56 AM

mlopinto2k1 said:
1zacster said:

Your saying PC's are going to be able to emulate these new console games? Maybe in 10 years. MAYBE.

You realize that all they have is a 7870 right? It's not like it has Titan power -.-.
Score
June 30, 2013 11:05:53 AM

ArielAtom said:
mlopinto2k1 said:
1zacster said:

You realize that all they have is a 7870 right? It's not like it has Titan power -.-.

Ok then. Run a virtual box and play the original Crysis on it. Or even Counter Strike Source. Let me know how that works out. You will not be "emulating" these consoles for a long time. XBox 360 and PS3 are just barely playable NOW and they are almost 7-8 years old.
Score
June 30, 2013 11:21:54 AM

I wonder if modders will be able to "unofficially" port console exclusives to PC.
Score
June 30, 2013 11:26:44 AM

"AMD pointed out a very obvious flaw in the industry, which is that games are developed on PCs using SDKs, brought to the console, then ported back to PCs again. With next-generation consoles using x86-based hardware, development will be more universal across all three except for small features..."

This is exactly why:

1. Port overs to PC SHOULD now be better nearly all the time graphically and easier to do as mentioned.
2. Game development and creation of a game SHOULD NOT take nearly as long as it has been as of recent years.
3. Why games across all platforms SHOULD start becoming cheaper overall.

Just my opinion.
Score
June 30, 2013 11:28:42 AM

"AMD pointed out a very obvious flaw in the industry, which is that games are developed on PCs using SDKs, brought to the console, then ported back to PCs again. With next-generation consoles using x86-based hardware, development will be more universal across all three except for small features..."

This is exactly why:

1. Port overs to PC SHOULD now be better nearly all the time graphically and easier to do as mentioned.
2. Game development and creation of a game SHOULD NOT take nearly as long as it has been as of recent years.
3. Why games across all platforms SHOULD start becoming cheaper overall.

Just my opinion.
Score
June 30, 2013 12:50:24 PM

"I'm just stoked about the new XboxOne and PS4 because its x86 and the games being x86 means the PC will get more games on release. We also have more console users because the cost of a PS4 vs a high end PC is black and white. PS4 = $399, My PC, custom build, all parts from newegg.com = $3100 +/-. Of course I can do much more than a PS4 can but for gaming the PC is a HUGE hit to my pocket book

You realize that the PS4/XB1 is NOT in any way top of the line computer hardware right? it has an middling AMD APU and a crappy GPU equivalent to what, a 7770? Good thing TVs are only 1080p and forget about FXAA TRESSFX PHYSX, unless you are shooting for 30fps.
Score
June 30, 2013 1:12:01 PM

shadowfamicom said:

Have you tried Japanese PC games ?
Score
June 30, 2013 1:46:33 PM

Now if only consoles were as upgradeable as PC's, then you would have something.
Score
June 30, 2013 2:20:32 PM

Consoles resemble PC as much as Polski Fiat resembles F1 cars, SUVs and/or freight trucks
Score
June 30, 2013 2:29:47 PM

ArielAtom said:
mlopinto2k1 said:
1zacster said:

Yea, when it comes to emulation your spec numbers are not directly comparable. Usually to emulate a console game the PC would have to be close to twice as powerful as the console sometimes even more, the reason for this is the uniformity and unity the consoles have, they are so much more optimized since they only have 1 set of hardware so there is much less overhead. Not to mention software and hardware tricks used to get better performance that you can't do on the PC. Like someone else said even now with a top end PC you get lag on 360 and PS3 games and you think PS4 and XBoxOne games will be easily played on a PC soon?
Score
June 30, 2013 2:33:51 PM

I'm happy to see more grown up looking devices that might actually work in a home entertainment cabinet personally. For me they could take it a step further and use standard Audio/ Video component design and dimensions. I fins I don't game much on my PS3 it's mainly a Blu-ray player.

I also don't know why they haven't added a decent E-mail and Browser to existing consoles with keyboard and mouse support. For a lot of families they could replace the PC altogther and be set up on a desk just like a PC. There's a lot of convergence and duplication of functions going on these days, it's likely at some point some devices will cease to exist as seperate hardware and just have their functions incorporated elsewhere.
Score
June 30, 2013 3:43:17 PM

Camikazi said:
ArielAtom said:
mlopinto2k1 said:
1zacster said:

Yea, when it comes to emulation your spec numbers are not directly comparable. Usually to emulate a console game the PC would have to be close to twice as powerful as the console sometimes even more, the reason for this is the uniformity and unity the consoles have, they are so much more optimized since they only have 1 set of hardware so there is much less overhead. Not to mention software and hardware tricks used to get better performance that you can't do on the PC. Like someone else said even now with a top end PC you get lag on 360 and PS3 games and you think PS4 and XBoxOne games will be easily played on a PC soon?

Considering most consoles run at around half the resolution as well and sometimes half the frame rate most pc games use, not really impressed with your defense. Also, traditional emulation has not been a problem of 'optimized hardware' it was due to the fact that you are running a platform on an entirely separate architecture while dealing with absolutely no documentation.

1280x720 = 921,600 <--- Consoles use this.
1680x1050 = 1,764,000 <---- PC's commonly use this
1920x1080 = 2,073,600 <---- modern pc's/television
Score
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2013 5:18:22 PM

To those complaining about emulation:

You don't need to emulate if you are on the same architecture; you build an OS-level wrapper like Wine. The game still executes standard x86 code, but sees a PS4/X1 window frame etc.

There's a reason Windows app can be installed on linux with a relatively small performance loss. Doing the same with ARM is a lot harder without recompiling (which can't be done if it's closed source).
Score
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2013 5:29:45 PM

Emulators are only that way they are due to the designers coding, it doesn't really require all sorts of high end hardware it just ends up that way due to poor coding/porting. for the love of pete
Score
June 30, 2013 10:22:11 PM

mlopinto2k1 said:
1zacster said:

What? Very few games are exclusive to console. Even then, do you even know why consoles are so hard to emulate? optimization? nope! because consoles use different processor architectures. With these new consoles being (for all intensive purposes) off the shelf parts soldered to a motherboard one hacked, they will be extremely easy to emulate. "Easy" meaning to develop an emulator, it will take time to crack all the security features. The Xbone rune windows damnit! its not like they are revolutionizing how games are processed.
Score
June 30, 2013 10:24:24 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
To those complaining about emulation:

You don't need to emulate if you are on the same architecture; you build an OS-level wrapper like Wine. The game still executes standard x86 code, but sees a PS4/X1 window frame etc.

There's a reason Windows app can be installed on linux with a relatively small performance loss. Doing the same with ARM is a lot harder without recompiling (which can't be done if it's closed source).

+1, though the security features will take time to get around. (connect to servers, authentication etc)

Score
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2013 10:29:05 PM

People removed security before, they'll do it again.
Score
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 30, 2013 10:53:10 PM

Um... someone want to tell this guy that consoles are using APUs and not dedicated graphics cards? :heink: 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2013 10:55:38 PM

I'm guessing he meant GPU of a similar power to ****.

Nope, in that case he probably meant based on the same architecture. If you replace 'graphics card' with 'GPU', it works.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2013 12:05:23 AM

Quote - "The gaming business is getting ready to explode, and you're going to be a part of it. It's almost like that first 3DFX card and Quake all over again…" - End Quote.

I doubt it will be that big, but id be more than happy if we get quality games, with the grapics that PCs actually can handle nowdays.
Score
July 1, 2013 1:58:07 AM

gsxrme said:
I'm just stoked about the new XboxOne and PS4 because its x86 and the games being x86 means the PC will get more games on release. We also have more console users because the cost of a PS4 vs a high end PC is black and white. PS4 = $399, My PC, custom build, all parts from newegg.com = $3100 +/-. Of course I can do much more than a PS4 can but for gaming the PC is a HUGE hit to my pocket book.

I don't think I've ever spent more than $1000 on PC parts at any given time and excluding the cost of a display, you can get a perfectly capable gaming pc for around the price of the Xbox One. Might I ask what you plan on spending $3,100 on? Beyond $1,500, you will be taking serious hits to your price to performance ratio
Score
July 1, 2013 6:49:36 AM

doesn't anyone remember that the original XBox... you know... Xbox 1... was a Pentium 3 with Nvidia graphics and a Windows 2000 based OS? how is that any different than what they are doing now? The only reason Microsoft went with the IBM Cell processor for the 360 was because of cost reasons.

Sorry, updated my post, I originally put Linux OS because both of mine ended up with that on it ;) 

Dry
Score
July 1, 2013 7:56:04 AM

Soon as I can game across #3 screens with a console I'll think about it but until then i'm PC all the way. PC is just a much better experience. I have a 7 and 8 year old they have totally left the console behind and I have to fight them to use my PC.
Score
July 1, 2013 10:42:42 AM

"Alienware Admits Consoles Are Now Resembling PCs"
Alienware isn't admitting anything, they are pointing it out.
Score
July 1, 2013 11:21:43 PM

Just waiting for MS to let XB1 and PC gamers play the same game against each other online and then it's game over for PS4
Score
October 30, 2013 6:39:10 PM

this whole article as every other one misses a key point.

The future is in high res. end of story. GPU's that before were just [removed] that are actually being used to utilize 1440p screens. Once you have seen gaming on that res you wont go back. Give it 2 years on and 4k monitors and tvs will be cheap enough for everyone to buy and guess what- the xbox will still be on less res than 1080 and the ps4 wont be much better!! Yet the PC will play the games at these super resoloutions

We haven't been able to see the true difference of what pc's can do with the same type of game as res has been relatively similar between the consoles and pc's, yes games are ported back, but even still when you add detail that is when you notice the difference- PC's add detail! as much as it can!!

Watch the language. - G
Score
November 2, 2013 8:53:03 PM

back_by_demand said:
Just waiting for MS to let XB1 and PC gamers play the same game against each other online and then it's game over for PS4

they would never allow that. They tried it with halo 3 and pc gamers destroyed console gamers. You just can't be as precise with a joystick.
Score
!