Help Me "Cool" My Nerves Here

Mherrigan

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
So here's the deal, I have a custom built computer that I got through Cyberpower, it has been just fine until very recently the water pump in my cooling systems reservoir crapped out and I really have no idea what to do here. I have been doing a lot of research and heres what it looks like I find:

Air cooling is generally cheaper and less risky but more difficult to install.

Liquid cooling is generally more expensive and can either be very easy to install or (in the case of my current system) seemingly very difficult to install. I understand that the "closed loop" systems like Corsair H100 are easy to install, but I see a lot of people saying they burst and destroy their computer. I may be mistaken but I have what is known as a modular cooling system? It has a radiator and water pump/reservoir.

My problem here is that I am terrified that I will screw something up terribly forcing me to replace everything rather than just cooling stuff. The cooling system I have now is good it seems, has a 360mm radiator but from the looks of it it is custom cut tubing, which may look a lot worse than it actually is. I have a program called CPUZ that my buddy helped me with that is basically a list of preset stable overclocks which I hope to use someday when I get back into video editing, but overclocking isn't a HUGE concern for me.

Honestly, I originally went with liquid cooling just because I''m really big on looks, and liquid cooled set ups certainly look a lot cooler than those ugly fans. So I guess my question here is what do I do next?

Is it really difficult to deal with the tubing, would this be my best bet? Just swap out pump/reservoir? Or should I scrap this giant radiator for the project of installing a whole new system? I'd like to keep it no more than $200 which for cooling stuff doesn't seem to difficult. I am more concerned with what is going to be the easiest way for me to do this? This would be my first time actually doing anything beyond a simple graphics/hard drive/ram installation so I'd like to keep it is simple as possible.

Lastly, here are some of my specs if it makes a difference:

i7 980x processor
GTX580 Graphics
12gb Corsair Dominator Ram
HAF X case

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Sounds like you just need to buy a replacement pump/reservoir. Cyberpower may be able to tell you which model to buy, or look up the part online. If its the same size you won't need new tubing.

Water is only dangerous when the computer is powered. You can safely work with it if the computer is off and unplugged from the wall. If water does happen to spill on the electronics make sure it's dry before powering it again.

Mherrigan

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I have to remove the tubing from the reservoir/pump to install the new one, is that really as difficult as it looks?