What is the best PC for me? Could you help me please?

saligal

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
UPDATE: I'm so sorry, I mistakenly posted in the wrong forum. Could you (the moderator?) move this post to [Systems]? Thanks!
UPDATE2: An updated version of this post can be found here. Thanks!

Hello all!
This is my first time to build a PC (and also my first comment here so Hi again!).
My father is traveling to NYC and I asked him to buy me there computer parts for a system I wish to build.
I don't play a lot of games (I do when I have spare time), and my need is basically a fast system that will allow me to do very CPU intensive work (Coding, mostly, I code fast and I need my system to keep my phase!)
Also I want it to be as most future-proof as possible (Hope I won't need an upgrade in at least 3 years).

I do have a (super basic) ATX chassis with front USB 2.0, and a simple 500GB hard-drive, so I think I will skip buying new.

These are the parts I chose so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($123.29 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $683.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 18:32 EDT-0400)

I read some excellent reviews on the CPU, the MOBO and the PSU, and I think these are great choices.

Also, for now, I am going to leave aside a GPU and use the built-in one, I think it will be enough- when I'll play games I won't expect them to run 30 fps @ 1080p, Just run smoothly enough so they will be playable even at the lowest graphics.
Of course maybe later I will consider an upgrade to the GPU.

So, my questions so far-
1. Will the RAM be compatible with the system?
2. I am trying to build a very quiet system, and reached a dead end when searching for a compatible CPU fan (I prefer not to use water cooling)
3. Are there any good stores in NYC you recommend?
4. Any other tips? I am open to new ideas!

Currently I found all the parts mentioned above in J&R (jr.com), and it will be great if my father won't have to go from point to point in the big city.
Also, I live in the middle east so shipping isn't a realistic option.

My current budget is 1100$ (but less is preferable, if possible)

Thanks so much for the help,
and sorry for my poor English- not my native language.

Have a great week,
Liran

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
1. As you do not want water cooling, your CPU fan will get in the way of your Corsair Vengeance, so go for the LP version of the Corsair Vengeance, the LP standing for Low Profile.
2. The Noctua NH-D14. Best air cooler around and runs crazy-quiet. Quite big and may not fit in your case however, so you'll have to check that out. You'll want around 175mm between the motherboard tray and the side panel.
3. I live in the UK, so can't really help you there. However if there's a microcenter near NYC at all they do great CPU/mobo combos, so I have heard.
4. You could shave off a few dollars by reducing the PSU to 650w. I would also go down to the Asus Z87-Plus unless you require the wifi onboard the motherboard. Even so, you can buy a wifi card and still be saving money from the $210 price tag of the Z87-Pro.

saligal

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Thank you for your reply,
There is a Microcenter store in NYC, But they don't have CPU fans made by Noctua (along with J&R, which is disappointing because I heard great praises on their fans).
In any case they do have the corsair memory but only the High profile version. Do you know if it's possible to remove the heat sink as the user in this youtube review claims it may be possible?
Thanks for the tip on the PSU!
I still think I prefer the Z87 Pro- The page here describes the differences but maybe I don't understand it correctly, and i'm wrong all along?

Again, Thank you for your help!

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

No Noctua coolers? Damn, that's unlucky. The Thermalright Silver Arrow or Phanteks PH-TC14PE perform almost identically to the Noctua, but just aren't as 'tried and tested' as the Noctua.

I definitely do not recommend removing the heat sinks from the ram. Instead try and find some other RAM with no heatsinks or at least short ones.

The only differences between the two boards that I can see is the power phase designs, the audio and the number of x1 slots (which won't make a difference to your system). Some of the highest overclocks ever achieved by the professionals (6Ghz+) were done with 8 phase power designs, so don't worry about that. The difference in the onboard sound on the boards will not be noticeable, but it you want to go with the Pro then go for it. :))

saligal

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

OK, You convinced me about the motherboards I will read about the Plus more and decide.
Unfortunately, I searched Thermalright and Phanteks- neither found.
local prices in my country are over the edge, I really hope I will find it somewhere, will continue searching.

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

That's unlucky :(
Good luck searching! If you have any worries just drop me a pm :)