Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New hard drive -- Limited Internet Connection -- Network Controller Driver

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 30, 2013 5:18:18 PM

Hi all,

First off, thank you for taking time to aid me with my issue.

I just installed a new HDD and SSD and a new version of Windows 8 pro. Everything seems to be working fine, other than my internet connection. Other devices are successfully connected to the network, and I've tried just about everything on the internet connection side, which leads me to believe it has something to do with my computer. My computer is a custom build with an ASRock H67M motherboard. I've installed all drivers I could find, but in the device manager, there is an error with the "network controller" driver. Is this why I can only establish a "limited connection" to the internet? Where can I find this driver as I cannot find anything on the asrock website.

Thanks again!
July 1, 2013 8:44:02 AM

The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.
July 1, 2013 8:47:26 AM

hang-the-9 said:
The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.


I had been running Windows 8 successfully before switching the HDD. Why would it work then, but not now?
Related resources
July 1, 2013 1:33:49 PM

jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.


I had been running Windows 8 successfully before switching the HDD. Why would it work then, but not now?

If you installed drivers for it, it may be trying to use the wrong one. Uninstall the device from device manager, reboot and see if it picks it up again. It it worked before, should work again.
July 3, 2013 2:14:40 PM

hang-the-9 said:
jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.


I had been running Windows 8 successfully before switching the HDD. Why would it work then, but not now?

If you installed drivers for it, it may be trying to use the wrong one. Uninstall the device from device manager, reboot and see if it picks it up again. It it worked before, should work again.


I tried and had no luck... any other ideas?

July 17, 2013 5:51:10 AM

jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.


I had been running Windows 8 successfully before switching the HDD. Why would it work then, but not now?

If you installed drivers for it, it may be trying to use the wrong one. Uninstall the device from device manager, reboot and see if it picks it up again. It it worked before, should work again.


I tried and had no luck... any other ideas?



Try a BIOS update, if that fails, you can get an add on network card, they are pretty cheap.
July 17, 2013 6:04:21 AM

When I created a mobile network through my phone, I was able to wirelessly connect, yet I cannot through my ISP despite other devices being able to connect. There must be some mix-up with the ISP. I am moving in about a month, so I will post again if I have issues with that internet setup.

Thanks again!

hang-the-9 said:
jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
jeremyy7 said:
hang-the-9 said:
The only drivers for that motherboard end at Windows 7. You can try those drivers, or buy an add-on card with Windows 8 support.


I had been running Windows 8 successfully before switching the HDD. Why would it work then, but not now?

If you installed drivers for it, it may be trying to use the wrong one. Uninstall the device from device manager, reboot and see if it picks it up again. It it worked before, should work again.


I tried and had no luck... any other ideas?



Try a BIOS update, if that fails, you can get an add on network card, they are pretty cheap.

!