Sign in with
Your question

Has my CPU been damaged by Overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 30, 2013 5:42:40 PM

A couple of days ago, I created a post asking if I could install a CPU with a cooler with less TDP. Since nobody answered, I tried it anyway, and it worked.

But unfortunately, the CPU speed is not what I had in mind, since Windows load is practically the same or even worst.

So I was wondering if the low speed may be caused by the CPU had been damaged by a previous owner who perhaps performed overclocking.

Is this posible or if the CPU was damaged wouldn't run at all?

Specs:

Mother: PCChips A33G with latest BIOS (in support list the CPU it's not listed, but it is listed another CPU with same speed and TDP, even above TDP)
Old CPU: Sempron 3000 1.6 GHz -> TDP: 59W
New CPU: Athlon Dual Core 5800 3.0 GHZ -> TDP: 89W
Cooler: stock AMD 65W
RAM: 512 MB

The other posibilities I considered were:

1. The CPU not being listed on motherboard support list.
2. Cooler with less TDP than CPU.
3. Bad settings in SO.
4. CPU has been damaged by OC.
5. Other?

I will appreciate any help that can enlighten me on this.

Thanks in advance.
June 30, 2013 8:39:27 PM

degradation due to overvolting higher than they should, maybe?

Also I had a e7300 Core2Duo and then Upgraded to a e8600 Core2Duo, when I did my boot times actually became slower than with the e7300 and some program loading, but benchmark testing showed the e8600 was indeed running faster, as well as the usually useless Windows Index Experience. Never could figure out why this was the case

Have you tried any benchmark test?
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 185 à CPUs
July 1, 2013 2:54:03 AM

I would actually consider the board being the culprit here. Modern CPU's are designed to shut themselves off with thermal protection.
Related resources
July 1, 2013 9:55:07 AM

Jake Anderson said:
degradation due to overvolting higher than they should, maybe?

Have you tried any benchmark test?

Hi, Jake, thank you for your answer.

I didn't want to overload the CPU since the cooler has not enough TDP in case the CPU gets really hot. I'm afraid that if I stress the CPU, the heat would increase a lot and the cooler wouldn't be able to disipate it and it will damaged the CPU even more.

So, do you think overvolting it's the reason my CPU is slow? This would mean that was overclocked. Is that so?

Thanks!
July 1, 2013 10:04:26 AM

amuffin said:
I would actually consider the board being the culprit here. Modern CPU's are designed to shut themselves off with thermal protection.

Thank you for your answer.

If it was shut it off, would still the PC run? I remember facing this situation in the past. The fan was stucked and the thermal protection was activated, but my PC didn't load at all, not even the BIOS. In this case, I'm able to login into Windows.
!