Fan not spinning, connected to MoBo

grunders

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hi,
I have just (almost) finished building my first PC and have got to the Post screen. The specs are as follows:

Motherboard - Asus Z87m plus
Processor - Intel 4770k
Case - Fractal Design Define R4
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 16GB
Graphics Card - Sapphire Technology Radeon 7770 HD
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Optical Drive - LiteOn DVD-RW (not yet powered)
Card Reader - Akasa 6 in 1 (not yet fitted)
SSD - Kingston HyperX 120GB
PSU - Akasa ES450 450W
Fans - 2 x Fractal Design R2 140mm, 1 x Akasa Apache 120mm
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 2

The Fractal fans came with the case and are fitted one to the front and one to the rear of the case. The Apache fan, I fitted to the bottom of the case as an intake.

I have only got to the Post screen at the moment. Initially, I attached the case fans to the MoBo as I didn't see the fan controller connectors and, therefore, had nowhere to plug in the Apache fan - both the fans worked.

Then I found the fan controller connections and plugged the two Fractal fans into that and the Apache into the MoBo. It can't be attached to the fan controller because of its 4 pin connector.

When I tried turning on the PC again, both Fractal fans still worked and could be controlled by the fan controller but the Apache doesn't spin. The only movement I do notice is a very slight "twitch" of movement which makes me think it has power but maybe not enough??

The fan will spin by hand but the bearing is such that it doesn't freely spin - it is like there is some sort of magnet in there which "catches" the rotation at certain points.

I understand that the Apache should be speed regulated depending on how much cooling is needed and I probably wouldn't be concerned were it not for the fact that it looks like the fan is trying to spin but can't.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Ben

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Just to clarify: The fan controller is integrated in your case, right?

As for your problem: it sure sounds like the fan isn´t getting enough juice to start spinning. Some fans just need a (in my opinion ridiculous) high voltage to start spinning.
Did you try setting the fan speed to maximum in the bios?

grunders

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

Yes, the controller is integrated in the case. I will have a look at the BIOS and try to set the fan speed - at the moment, I haven't tried adjusting anything in the BIOS.

I'll post a reply when I've adjusted the fan settings.

Ben

Okay, now I feel silly - when I run the system for longer than a few seconds which is all I had been doing, the added case fan kicks in and does exactly what I expect it to. I think we can safely say that this was user error.

Thanks again, Ben