Need Help Upgrading Motherboard

dagerm

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I could get some help upgrading my computer. More specifically, my motherboard.

(Specs)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Model: p7-1074
Processor: AMD Phenom ii x4 960t, ~3.0 ghz, 8 gb RAM
Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, 2gb
Motherboard: FOXCONN 2AB1
PSU Model: BP500U 500 watt

I kind of jumped ahead and bought my video card without doing much research. I know, I'm an idiot. I'm looking for a motherboard that is compatible with my system, and also my video card, but will be able to support other video cards around the same series. I do play some gpu intense games (Arma 3, Rome II), but I also do video editing and art in photoshop using high pixel resolution. So any recommendations that could compensate for those things would be helpful. I know I might have to get a PSU with higher wattage (suggestions for that would help as well). My max budget is gonna have to be $200. If I forgot to add any important info, please let me know. Thanks for replying:)

HMSCelestia

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
These are very old parts... I think you should really consider upgrading the bulk of your system.

I'd make the jump to the 8xxx Black series from AMD, along with one of their AM3+ socket 990FX chipset motherboards (ie 8 core 8350 processor with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0).

That PSU is also suspect, but It should -may- work. Check the minimum power supply recommendation of your Graphics Card.

Edit: Saw your budget. That honestly seems like a very small amount to work with... however you could do it. I may end up recommending something like the AMD A10 APU along with one of the A series Motherboards.

Also remember to check the form factor of your current motherboard to ensure the new one will fit in your current case.

dagerm

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

Say I were to get these exact items, would the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 fit if the FF to my foxconn is atx? I can't find the exact size. I want to upgrade my whole system, but if I can, I'd just like to do the motherboard and processor for now, then complete it later on. Could you recommend a cheaper processor that would run well with the 990FX? Thanks for the recommendations, btw.