Eyefinity using just DP

G

Gents, i haven't found a specific answer for my scenario, most questions regarding eyefinity cover a mix of DVI or VGA. My question is a little different. I would like to know if i can use 3 display ports on the back of my MSI lightning 7970 to my 3 monitors using DP-HDMI adaptors. Non of the monitors have native DP, but all have HDMI. Do i still need the active adaptor doing it this way?

Thanks in advance for any answers

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013
The HDMI will not provide the resolution that DP can. If you have XD monitors, then this will most likely not work. However, if you are just running 3x 1080p monitors, then the three DP ports should work for the monitors.

Robbie Beresford

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks for your time. Yes, they're just 3 normal 1080p tv's. Can anyone else chime in with a definitive answer? Don't really want to fork out for 3 MDP-HDMI adaptors on the hope that they *should* work.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

It will work. You can use two MDP->HDMI adapters as well as the HDMI from your GPU and it will work. When I said "should", I didn't mean that I wasn't sure; I meant that, assuming that nothing is broken, it will work.
Here is a link to a similar thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343140-33-anyone-experience-eyefinity-3displaye-7970-help
It is discussing DVI, but the concept still holds true. As long as you just make sure that they are all getting an HDMI connection, then it will work.