Will These Parts Fit in My Case? (First Time Build)

Andrew Lee

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I'm building my first pc, and I'm not sure if my parts will all fit into my case.
The link to my list is here. I'm mainly worried about my liquid cooling system and my graphics card. I have a mid tower ATX case and I'm not sure if it's big enough. If it can't fit, can you suggest me a case that's big enough, takes care of heat well, and looks cool?

I would drop that cooler for an air cooler, it will cool just as well but make less noise.

Drop the sound card. The motherboard has a better one built in.

If this is for gaming get 8gb RAM. Games still only use 4gb MAX.

Use all this saved money to get a better GPU.

The motherboard does not have a better sound card in it. I dont see how an $80 motherboard could have better audio than a dedicated $50 card.
However I do agree that its pointless to include on this build, despite not being as good as the Xonar card, it is there and will serve you fine.

Your build seems pretty unbalanced to me. Drop the sound card, the H80i and 8GB of that RAM in favour of a better motherboard and graphics card. Get yourself something along the lines of a 212 EVO for the CPU cooling.

You also dont need the Professional version of Win8, the standard 64bit will be fine.

Andrew Lee

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I do lots of video editing, so I thought sound card would be good, I'll take it out now. The H80i is at a VERY low price right now at a local store, so I thought I should get it.
Doesn't video editing need lots of ram?
Win8 Prof. is just a placeholder right now.
Any recommendations on the case?

If you were video editing, it would have been good to say so from the start. I assumed it was a gaming build which reflected in my (and Tiny Voice's) recommendations.

Which would you say is more important, the video editing aspect of the build or gaming? On a $1300 budget, you can build a good rig for either purpose, but not both.
I recommend you build yourself an editing rig now, then throw on a better GPU later on. Its easier to do that than it is to change CPU and add more RAM, while also being a fair bit less expensive (considering that you now have leftover parts).

Assuming your budget is ~$1300 (from your parts list), I would go with this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($125.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1208.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-02 02:47 EDT-0400)

Add on a H80i from your local store so you can overclock and you will have quite an editing rig, that's easily upgradable to a better GPU later on. The 7770 isnt the greatest, but it will give adequate performance at 1080p and is only a tier down from the 7850 you chose.
The monitor is an IPS panel, which is better than TN in terms of colour reproduction.

On cases< I picked the HAF-XM as I think its a pretty good "mid"-tower (It really could be considered a full tower), though I can see its aesthetic putting some people off it. Good manufacturers to go for are NZXT, Corsair, Coolermaster, Fractal Design (The R4 is great if your after a quiet build), some of Bitfenix's cases are pretty good as well.
Ultimately, pick the one that supports the features you want and like the way it looks. In terms of cooling performance, any decent case will come with adequate fans and will be designed well enough that there should be no real difference.

Andrew Lee

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but isn't an eight-core processor usually better than a quad-core in terms of video editing? If I want to keep the AMD CPU (not saying I definitely will), what will be some better MoBos I can get if I ditch the sound card (of course, I want to have some money leftover for other stuff, so not very expensive)?

Not all cores are created equally, and in the case of the Bulldozer/Piledriver architectures, its debatable whether they could even be called cores.
Core count isn't everything, benchmarks is what you want to see.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-13.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-14.html

I'm not too clued into AMD motherboards to be honest, im sure whatever ASUS or Gigabyte offer at the $130 price point would do fine.