Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU concerns help

Last response: in Components
Share
July 2, 2013 1:25:54 AM

Can a LEPA 500w PSU power my new rig or do i need more wattage?






CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.62 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($255.66 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LB 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($3.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LB 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($3.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LB 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($3.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LB 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($3.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: LEPA N 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

More about : psu concerns

Best solution

July 2, 2013 1:38:43 AM

your CPU --> 40 ~110W so we will average it at 90W

RAM --> 5W (high i know but better higher than lower)

HDD --> 10W

GPU --> Wow that thing needs PCI power
+6pin + 8pin power connector, thus:
75W+75W+100W: max therotical power load that GPU can consume is:
250W

Optical drive : 10 W

Other stuff fans and USB mouse ... etc : 20W max

lets combine : 385W and if you loaded the CPU
it will be 400W full system load, however you never load
the system, only if you wana run Prime and GPU burn in testing
however this gives a good estimate

you have a spare 100W which is nice

cause i belive PSU degrades each year by 10%

so 500 * 10% is 50W, so that PSU will service good for 2 years and hopefully more

Share
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2013 11:13:18 AM

It's probably not a good idea to run your new shiny expensive computer parts off the cheapest power supply you can find.

Get something in the 600 watt class that is a quality build, unless you want to risk having to replace your video card and motherboard because the power supply shorted out or cooked itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind that the rating for many power supplies is listed at pretty much their max efficiency which is never seen in real use.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2013 12:06:41 PM

hang-the-9 said:
It's probably not a good idea to run your new shiny expensive computer parts off the cheapest power supply you can find.

Get something in the 600 watt class that is a quality build, unless you want to risk having to replace your video card and motherboard because the power supply shorted out or cooked itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind that the rating for many power supplies is listed at pretty much their max efficiency which is never seen in real use.


This is my first build so im trying to make a decent build but i dont have the money to buy the best power supplys on the market and from everything ive seen so far LEPA is a good brand and is definitely not the cheapest.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2013 12:18:43 PM

wiff98 said:
hang-the-9 said:
It's probably not a good idea to run your new shiny expensive computer parts off the cheapest power supply you can find.

Get something in the 600 watt class that is a quality build, unless you want to risk having to replace your video card and motherboard because the power supply shorted out or cooked itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind that the rating for many power supplies is listed at pretty much their max efficiency which is never seen in real use.


This is my first build so im trying to make a decent build but i dont have the money to buy the best power supplys on the market and from everything ive seen so far LEPA is a good brand and is definitely not the cheapest.


You're right about the quality of it, I based it on the price for a gaming system power supply. You may want a bit more than a 500 watt psu, to make sure you don't have any issues with a stable supply for your video card, although as soon as you go over 500 watts the price goes up pretty sharply. The one you picked should be enough, but you don't want it running at close to max power all the time, with temperature changes the power will go lower and could cause damage or crashes. You don't need the best power supply, just not a bad cheap one.
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 12:35:50 PM

hang-the-9 said:
wiff98 said:
hang-the-9 said:
It's probably not a good idea to run your new shiny expensive computer parts off the cheapest power supply you can find.

Get something in the 600 watt class that is a quality build, unless you want to risk having to replace your video card and motherboard because the power supply shorted out or cooked itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind that the rating for many power supplies is listed at pretty much their max efficiency which is never seen in real use.


This is my first build so im trying to make a decent build but i dont have the money to buy the best power supplys on the market and from everything ive seen so far LEPA is a good brand and is definitely not the cheapest.


You're right about the quality of it, I based it on the price for a gaming system power supply. You may want a bit more than a 500 watt psu, to make sure you don't have any issues with a stable supply for your video card, although as soon as you go over 500 watts the price goes up pretty sharply. The one you picked should be enough, but you don't want it running at close to max power all the time, with temperature changes the power will go lower and could cause damage or crashes. You don't need the best power supply, just not a bad cheap one.


I used the PSU calculator and it says that the system will only need about 380-395 watts so i think it will run on max powe
m
0
l
!