Boarding School-Desktop vs MSI GT60 2OD-026US vs Sager 8250-S

What should I do?

• Total voters

zyy321dorry

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Hey, I'm going to boarding school this upcoming year and I don't know whether I should build myself a gaming desktop or buy a laptop.

The desktop build was going to be
MB-Sabertooth Z87(with thermal armor)
Processor-i7 4770k
Graphics Card-GTX Titan Hydrocopper
RAM-16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Case-Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU-Corsair AX 850watt
SSD-Samsung 840 128gb
HD-WD 1TB Black 7200rpm
Cooling-Full watercooling loop

I don't know whether I should get this desktop with 400$ laptop to use in class since I won't be gaming in there, or should I just go for a 15 inch gaming laptop.

I really want it to be future proof and play new games like BF4 or the next Crysis at ultra settings with 50+ fps. The problem is that the laptop would struggle IMO whereas the desktop could easily handle those games.

What should I do ;o

Generally the answer to these kinds of questions is both, split your budget and get a desktop and laptop. Although the laptop wont need to be a powerhouse, I wouldnt cheap out on it too badly. Get yourself a decent Ultrabook with an external USB HDD.

Also I don't know if your boarding house is anything similar to the ones I have experienced/heard about, but you may not even be allowed to bring it in. What I heard is that personal computer's pull too much power, and boarding schools have the express goal of keeping you alive on the minimum expenditure possible :lol:.
You might want to think about a Small Form Factor build, something about the size of a Bitfenix Prodigy. Believe me, you can fit all of what you have there inside that little beast of a case (except the Sabertooth, you need an ITX board) and it will be far easier to convince them to let in something the size of a Prodigy than a Cosmos II, which would almost need a forklift with that kind of hardware. A lot easier to hide in your luggage as well :p.

zyy321dorry

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Thats actually a good idea, I might just get a 780 and make my desktop smaller which would save maybe 500+ by the graphics card, smaller case, and board, etc. and then just use that for a laptop. Thanks :D