Closed

Steve Ballmer is Taking Command of Xbox One

Ballmer taking control of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business may be part of his restructuring plan.

Steve Ballmer is Taking Command of Xbox One : Read more
42 answers Last reply
More about steve ballmer taking command xbox
  1. Welp we better get ready for even more epic fail.. Didn't think the fail could be any worse though..
  2. microsoft seems to think xbone needs to fail more. as if their drm schemes, lack of launch titles, too much focus on media consumption instead of actual console gaming weren't enough....
  3. Looks like Steve is going to get Don's sloppy seconds!
  4. well, nothing like Ballmer taking command to make a product fail -_-
  5. One Stubborn *sshole replaced by Another Stubborn *sshole...Good Job microsoft
  6. MS need to get someone else running the Xbox1 show as soon as possible,
    because Balmer would be a disaster. Anyone else here in the UK see
    Balmer's epic fail interview on the Click show when he tried to pretend that
    Windows was suitable for tablets? It was embarassing to watch. Balmer is
    too much the straight business type to lead a gaming project. They need
    some new blood for sure.

    Ian.
  7. Mr kevin parrish i think its about time you updated your balmer photo. I knew before clicking on this article.that if this was written by you i knew what photo id see. It is a great pic tho, you rarely disappoint!
  8. XBOX NONE
  9. Awesome, Everything he's touched has turn to Mud, Can't wait to see the mud slide.
  10. dead before if hit the market... chapeau. Sony can now implement drm - and STILL come up a head
  11. Titanic sinking!! Abandon ship!! They just hit the iceberg!!
  12. This is how the world ends.... and the party begins.
  13. That can't be good...
  14. expect to see a media blitz like none other shortly. There is only one thing Balmer knows... and that's the shout down the competition. The airways will be flooded with xb1 commercials from now until the superbowl.

    Also, expect for some of the recent reversals to be reversed again. He doesn't like to admit M$ is wrong. he's all about the bottom line. So watch all the reversals come with a $100-$150 price DROP. It will once again be an always online machine, with draconian DRM policies, likely far more integrated kinect (probably won't be able to turn it off or cover the camera), all covered up with the price drop

    just you watch. it's going to happen. This will be about convincing 13yos and their soccer moms to buy it, not about making nice with the hard core gaming and computing crowd.
  15. @yannigr Xbox None... has a nice ring to it... or maybe, Xbox No-One

    seriously though, im getting one and not the least bit concerned
  16. "MICROSOFT CHANGES XBOX ONE PRICE!"

    - Gamers - " Yeah Ballmer!"

    "XBOX ONE PRICE NOW $599."

    -Gamers - "Da faq!"
  17. Oh shit, they are frakked!
  18. How is an always on internet connection a Draconian DRM policy?
    Draconian - Adjective
    1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Draco or his code of laws.
    2. ( often lowercase ) rigorous; unusually severe or cruel: Draconian forms of punishment.

    Now a DRM that installs a rootkit that makes it easier to break your computer, and does active performance inhibiting checks is Draconian. The proposed DRM is more akin to Steam's DRM.
  19. While on the surface it is very easy to understand the Balmer hate because he comes off as loud, slow, annoying, and uninformed. And yet he has been in charge of MS for quite a while now, and has not only managed to not sink the ship, but actually grow it.
    So while my initial reaction to balmer being placed in charge makes me think that XB1 will now just be Halo and sports games, I have to step back and realize that while I do not like him, he has made some great decisions in other departments so this may not be so bad.

    I still dobut that we will see cross-platform capabilities between XB1 and Win8 PCs like we should this generation... but who knows. Maybe something good will happen.
  20. m32 said:
    "MICROSOFT CHANGES XBOX ONE PRICE!"

    - Gamers - " Yeah Ballmer!"

    "XBOX ONE PRICE NOW $599."

    -Gamers - "Da faq!"


    That $599 Not Including XBONE START BUTTON,If you Want it you must add another $10 for it...LOL
  21. Has Microsoft completely lost its marbles? That's an open spot for someone to actually do something with and the CEO is just going to swallow it with his own tasks? Not only is it a bad idea given Steve's reputation, it's simply bad management. This guy doesn't even understand a simple structural environment and has no idea how to use delegation.

    I'm sorry Microsoft, but this time, you've gone too far. Sony 100%
  22. What could possibly go wrong..besides everything
  23. Wow not a single positive article for xbox one or Ballmer. Well I will be the first, I already have my Xbox One pre-ordered from Amazon and am excited to try out the way the new kinect integrates with my TV.
    PS4 vs Xbox One BLAH BLAH BLAH! All the games will be roughly the same on both next gen consoles. So to me the biggest difference will be the other stuff the console can do, aka watch TV or the ESPN app that I watch almost everyday on my Xbox.
    I have a GTX Titan running my games at 2560 x 1600 on a 30" monitor so I've been playing "next gen" games for two months now at a higher resolution then the mighty next gen consoles.
  24. its good being microsoft competition at the moment, ms is destroying themselves, the competition doesnt even need to work to look good atm.
  25. agentbb007 said:
    Wow not a single positive article for xbox one or Ballmer. Well I will be the first, I already have my Xbox One pre-ordered from Amazon and am excited to try out the way the new kinect integrates with my TV.
    PS4 vs Xbox One BLAH BLAH BLAH! All the games will be roughly the same on both next gen consoles. So to me the biggest difference will be the other stuff the console can do, aka watch TV or the ESPN app that I watch almost everyday on my Xbox.
    I have a GTX Titan running my games at 2560 x 1600 on a 30" monitor so I've been playing "next gen" games for two months now at a higher resolution then the mighty next gen consoles.


    Okay, but you still didn't say anything positive about Ballmer.
  26. .....crap
  27. Wow... the XBO has gone from POOP to diarrhea in a single day!

    Its like Mattrick wasn't doing it fast enough with a shovel, now they have Ballmer with the backhoe coming in to dig that grave faster.
  28. I saw an xbox one fan call it the "xbone" the other day. I dont think they get its a derogatory term. Would you rather be "bone" or "x-bone".

    There's just no way you can think xbone isn't a joke lol
  29. After a windows 8 without a start button, maybe we will get an Xbox One without joystick? :)
  30. Well, that settles it- all is lost...
  31. Too many people want MS to fail, some sort a hivemind bandwagon has started up with no real thought into the effects. If MS was to self-destruct tomorrow it would cause chaos to billions of people, hundreds of millions of workers, tens of millions of gamers, millions of developers and all the evil practices of competitors would run rampant. Sony rootkits, Google email spying, Apple patent trolling. Some of you have no perspective. Instead of saying you hope MS fails why don't you man up and say what you would do better, then go ask them for a job.
  32. back_by_demand said:
    Too many people want MS to fail, some sort a hivemind bandwagon has started up with no real thought into the effects. If MS was to self-destruct tomorrow it would cause chaos to billions of people, hundreds of millions of workers, tens of millions of gamers, millions of developers and all the evil practices of competitors would run rampant. Sony rootkits, Google email spying, Apple patent trolling. Some of you have no perspective. Instead of saying you hope MS fails why don't you man up and say what you would do better, then go ask them for a job.

    Sure it would cause chaos. But I think it would happen slow enough that the market would quickly adapt.

    The competitors aren't threatening enough to be a problem IMO

    Linux might even jump in to fill the gap.
  33. If Linux was going to do anything to jump higher than 1.9% it would have done it by now
  34. "Baller was slated to reveal this plan on Monday" - Baller?

    Ballmer takes control of xbox one.... im lucky since im not a console gamer, so i can watch this as an observant and just enjoy the drama.... But i am sorry for the Xbox users.
  35. falchard said:
    Now a DRM that installs a rootkit that makes it easier to break your computer, and does active performance inhibiting checks is Draconian. The proposed DRM is more akin to Steam's DRM.

    Steam has offline mode that lasts ages.
    Steam is a distribution platform that does NOT enforce any kind of DRM on games and Torchlight 2 installed via steam never asks you to either start steam or get online.
    Steam is just one of the options on PCs.

    agentbb007 said:
    PS4 vs Xbox One BLAH BLAH BLAH! All the games will be roughly the same on both next gen consoles.

    And this is based on what evidence?
    Current gen we had xbox with conventional hardware vs PS3 with weirdo hardware that only first party studios utilized, so most cross platform games look better on 360.
    Next gen we have similiar architecture (ignoring esram thing) and vastly (40%+ thanks to 3 times faster RAM and much better GPU) superior hardware on PS4.

    There is no way we won't see the difference.

    That on top of M$'s attempt to bend customers over.
  36. "I know most of you hate me, and we nearly blew the Xbox launch with stupid ideas, but I'm going to make it worse." --Steve Ballmer.
  37. "I know most of you hate me, and we nearly blew the Xbox launch with stupid ideas, but I'm going to make it worse." --Steve Ballmer.
  38. If Steve Ballmer ever lose's his job/retires. He might have a job as Lex Luthor.
  39. CaedenV said:
    While on the surface it is very easy to understand the Balmer hate because he comes off as loud, slow, annoying, and uninformed. And yet he has been in charge of MS for quite a while now, and has not only managed to not sink the ship, but actually grow it.
    So while my initial reaction to balmer being placed in charge makes me think that XB1 will now just be Halo and sports games, I have to step back and realize that while I do not like him, he has made some great decisions in other departments so this may not be so bad.

    I still dobut that we will see cross-platform capabilities between XB1 and Win8 PCs like we should this generation... but who knows. Maybe something good will happen.


    Vista was under his wing (no need to say more on that), and Windows 8 has far too much bad PR (regardless of my opinion on it). Windows phones in the market are still...a failure, and so are the tablets, both with a very slow adoption rate. On top of all of that, there are some economists that have asked him to kindly step down; also, when a head of a company is hated, for whatever reason that may be, people just stay away from their products or are less inclined to get future products from said.

    All in all, I wouldn't call him successful. The only real success I know of under his leadership was Windows 7. I'm not sure how involved he was in the Xbox 360 later on as well, but that's mixed in itself. With sales being off the charts, yeah that's impressive. But with the fiascoes they had with it, like the as high as 70% hardware failure rate, I don't know what to call it.
  40. I agree that ballmer maanged to "grow" MS, but at the expense of the consumers. Perhaps thats good for MS, but since its bad for me i stay away from their products. Once that opinion is shard by enought users, the ship WILL sink.
    This is similar to Politics. People always blame who is now in charge and not who "was" before them and layed the ground for a fail.

    In Ballmers case, we all know he is laying a bad ground (dont forget before him, MS was not just "growing", it was the Big fish in the see), he is slowing down MS.

    Ballmer has been considered one of the worst CEOs in the alst years, and thats quite something.
  41. Uncle fester is at it again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Digital Entertainment Gaming Microsoft business