Your question
Closed

DirectX 11.2 an Xbox One and Windows 8.1 Exclusive

Last response: in News comments
July 2, 2013 2:09:27 PM

Really? You're kidding, right?
Score
July 2, 2013 2:09:38 PM

I understand about wanting to have exclusivity on technologies to force people to upgrade. I can even understand bringing the new tech exclusively to the console but to lock out 90% of your customer base is an idiotic move on Microsoft's part. Ballmer for the lose. When does Bill recognize this man is kill his kingdom?
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2013 2:10:06 PM

Still not a single game taking real advantage of DX11. Even DX10 support is dubious.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 2:14:50 PM

Great! Maybe DirectX will now finally died.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:19:10 PM

Great, now give me back my beloved XNA !!!
Score
July 2, 2013 2:24:55 PM

Bill Gates won't do naything with MS. Anymore. He has found other interests and unless MS. starts doing a complete nose dive you won't see any involment on his behalf.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:26:05 PM

marraco said:
Still not a single game taking real advantage of DX11. Even DX10 support is dubious.

You should realize that a lot of this has to do with old console hardware holding back the industry. We will probably see more support for stuff like this in the next generation.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:26:51 PM

Its your own fault if you haven't switched to Windows 8.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:27:03 PM

If i need Kinect to operate an XB1, i won't be buying.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:32:01 PM

DX11.2? I bet you'll have to read a 10 page article before you're able to notice any difference vs DX11, on a static screen capture using an enlarged picture segment.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:39:49 PM

Ha. They pulled this sort of crap with Halo 2 being vista exclusive to get people to upgrade.

Passed then, still passing now.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:45:33 PM

STOP FORCING USERS TO UPGRADE THEIR OS TO UPGRADE DX AND IE.

It creates HUGE development roadblocks because we have to continue supporting legacy systems and can't use new features. As long as people continue to use XP we have to support IE8 which means we can't use HTML5 or CSS3 because IE8 doesn't support it.
Score
July 2, 2013 2:52:47 PM

Now bring this feature to Windows RT and MS will have a homedunk.
Score
July 2, 2013 3:02:09 PM

@ Koga: So what? It's not like you can't use other browser on XP. IE8 should be dead and buried. And I don't see it that big of a deal.

In Next-gen we will see games really taking advantage of DX11 and maybe then we'll see the benefits of 11.2

DirectX9.0c was released in 2004 and games started REALLY using it by 2007.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 3:04:45 PM

Sounds like a work around to a small, fixed amount of GPU Memory. I wonder why...
Score
July 2, 2013 3:16:04 PM

MS will stop supporting XP on 2014 but its strange that he mentioned that it will only work with win 8
Score
July 2, 2013 3:19:02 PM

Once again Microsoft holds back gaming progress in order to make an OS look more appealing. One of the big reasons why it took forever to see DX10 games is that it was a feature only available on Vista.
Score
July 2, 2013 3:25:00 PM

LOL MS tryied this before with DX 10 and Vista. Look at how that worked for them then. The same will happen to Win 8. hopefully this will get Devs to use OpenGL instead.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 3:40:04 PM

Errr...I must be totally missing the point of those [lame] tech demos. "3GB of data"? For the entire simulator or just the textures? How is pushing application data to system memory a new thing?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 3:49:23 PM

Calm your tits everyone.

This is expected, it is called marketing and if a certain company can't provide anything 'spectacular' over the other companies, then it is doomed. DirectX 11.2 will surely drag more users towards Xbox One and Windows 8.1. I look forward to this.

And BTW. more and and games does take advantage of DirectX 11. Even more games will, as the upcoming consoles will feature DirectX 11 capable GPUs. So saying the DirectX 11 isn't used? Shame on you, seems as if you don't even know what effects it provides.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 3:52:36 PM

Making DX10 tied to Vista didn't help at all, MS... Why you never learn from your stupid mistakes? =/

This won't boost Win8.1 sales AT ALL.

I'll wait, patiently, until you do the same as with IE10. You guys can't be THAT stupid, for crying out loud =/

Cheers!
Score
July 2, 2013 4:07:51 PM

I can't wait to get these for DX11.2 and not just wait another year or so when dx12 comes out
Score
July 2, 2013 4:57:04 PM

"To making Windows The best gaming platform"?! Really? I call bull. Where are the AAA titles... oh yeah, they are ONLY for the 360 or XBO and of course PS3/4.

Microsoft already said "SCREW THE GAMERS" when they stopped making their own games for Windows so I don't know what drugs this guy is taking. Lets see... Gears of War 2-3... Halo 3+ and more... are they out for Windows Anything? Answer: NO!

I'm going PS4 for my gaming needs. And Linux for my computing needs. Screw you Microsoft! A bunch of no-talent middle-management retards.
Score
July 2, 2013 5:33:49 PM

koga73 said:
STOP FORCING USERS TO UPGRADE THEIR OS TO UPGRADE DX AND IE.

It creates HUGE development roadblocks because we have to continue supporting legacy systems and can't use new features. As long as people continue to use XP we have to support IE8 which means we can't use HTML5 or CSS3 because IE8 doesn't support it.

Those situations aren't entirely the same, though the point is still valid. At first IE was a marketing gimmick to upgrade but at this point it just isn't worth it to support it.
Score
July 2, 2013 5:35:46 PM

Is there a reason other than greed that my windows 7 64bit wont be able to get this?
Score
July 2, 2013 5:59:46 PM

I'd like to know how drawing from a RAM source that has what? 30GB/s at most (?), for bandwidth. is going to work for texture memory, esp as we move into higher resolution texture sizes.

Level loading is already slow enough, I hope this won't make it worse.

As for being Win8 exclusive, I'm not too surprised.
I'm not going to upgrade just for DX11.2, so they can keep their version 8, I'll stick with 7 until a more compelling reason to upgrade comes. A DX version isn't enough.

The jump from XP to 7 was logical, 64bit processing and DX11, plus an improved GUI and feature set.
But 7 to 8 isn't as clear cut, and much more tedious to get it all going again, side from the fact I don't have the money. So not much inclination to upgrade.
Score
July 2, 2013 6:18:16 PM

What's so new about this? Isn't this exactly what the PC AGP interface did years ago back in the 90's and Early 2000s? Using system RAM as memory for the GPU??? Zzzz........
Score
July 2, 2013 6:39:39 PM

So... I'm confused. The graphics looked good, but they didn't look miraculous. Is this going to enable better graphics on lesser hardware? That's important. If it's just adding insane levels of detail into games that are already more than realistic enough for enjoyment... I really don't care. More effort on gameplay, longer/more single player, and less on graphics please.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 7:05:56 PM

marraco said:

But for a reason. Xbox 360 is DX9c based... so all of the games are DX9c because most of them are console ports, or they are programmed by people who learned how to program for consoles first.

The best thing about the new console generation is that all of the DX10 and 11 tech is finally going to get some use, which is going to bring about some absolutely gorgeous games in a year or so. Also, this tiling may dramatically improve issues having to do with multi-monitor graphics and memory usage if it is supported properly.

The big concern of course is how do you deal with extreme scene and texture changes on the fly? DDR3 is quick, but it is made for quick transfer of little things. GDDR3 is not so fast at loading small stuff, but it is there because it is very fast at moving big things around. I think this tech is going to major on the minors for both technologies.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 7:07:55 PM

daekar said:
So... I'm confused. The graphics looked good, but they didn't look miraculous. Is this going to enable better graphics on lesser hardware? That's important. If it's just adding insane levels of detail into games that are already more than realistic enough for enjoyment... I really don't care. More effort on gameplay, longer/more single player, and less on graphics please.

Because youtube takes beautiful things and makes them ugly. So you have a good initial feed... which then goes into compression for web streaming... which is then edited on someone's computer... which is then recompressed for youtube. Obviously the detail is going to be lacking in the end.

Maybe someone has a link for some raw footage?
Score
July 2, 2013 7:19:48 PM

This is a non issue game devs won't take advantage of 11.2 for a couple more years and by then there will be another version of DX.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2013 7:24:33 PM

And I still haven't see DirectX 11.1 on Windows 7 yet. Disgrace on you Microsoft.
Score
July 2, 2013 7:26:58 PM

For those not understanding what is going on here, before this enhancement the GPU needs to have data (think height-map or textures) in its own memory before it can render anything on the screen. Copying from RAM to GPU takes time (think seconds for a GB). While game engines (and to an extent hardware manufacturers) are playing the FPS war, this is a massive feature.

Remember, this is not just about pushing the latest hardware to the max, its also about utilising low-spec hardware to achieve great things (hence the 16MB video RAM example). Anyone out there writing software to work on ruggedised tablets will know what I'm talking about (you try explaining to a customer why their $4.5k tablet can't show a high resolution map quickly).
Score
July 2, 2013 8:03:10 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Calm your tits everyone.

This is expected, it is called marketing and if a certain company can't provide anything 'spectacular' over the other companies, then it is doomed. DirectX 11.2 will surely drag more users towards Xbox One and Windows 8.1. I look forward to this.

And BTW. more and and games does take advantage of DirectX 11. Even more games will, as the upcoming consoles will feature DirectX 11 capable GPUs. So saying the DirectX 11 isn't used? Shame on you, seems as if you don't even know what effects it provides.

i won't buy a next gen console if i absolutely have to, my 360 died 6 times, i'm on my 7th and last one. i was banking on emulation of the hardware so i can buy the software, but the 360 will probably kill that idea. thank god the 360 makes next to no games i must play or own anymore.

daekar said:

from what i understand, its more about putting more detail in the textures without clogging the gpu, a very nice feature if you have fast ram.

CaedenV said:
marraco said:

But for a reason. Xbox 360 is DX9c based... so all of the games are DX9c because most of them are console ports, or they are programmed by people who learned how to program for consoles first.

The best thing about the new console generation is that all of the DX10 and 11 tech is finally going to get some use, which is going to bring about some absolutely gorgeous games in a year or so. Also, this tiling may dramatically improve issues having to do with multi-monitor graphics and memory usage if it is supported properly.

The big concern of course is how do you deal with extreme scene and texture changes on the fly? DDR3 is quick, but it is made for quick transfer of little things. GDDR3 is not so fast at loading small stuff, but it is there because it is very fast at moving big things around. I think this tech is going to major on the minors for both technologies.

even pc exclusive titles barely took advantage of dx10, or even dx11. remember, PC ONLY GAMES, as in no console involvement period.
Score
July 2, 2013 8:11:44 PM

This all sounds so much like DX 10.1. Deja vu!
Score
July 2, 2013 8:38:19 PM

Microfail: I'm see what you are trying to do. You want to convince me that W7 sucks because it does not support DX11.2

But what I really see is that W8 sucks because it will never support DX12 or DX13. I don't want an OS which is not future proof, and you already have a bad record. You cheated with XP, Vosta and 7. You can't lie to me again.
Score
July 2, 2013 9:48:56 PM

so why even call it dx 11.2 if all dx 11 cards can take advantage of this? the title makes it sound like you need a dx 11.2 gpu to take advantage of these features, even though no such dx 11.2 gpu card exist. As for exclusive maybe at first but I expect dx 11.2 will trickle down to windows 7 in time. just like how ie 10 was exclusive to windows 8 at first and it trickled down to Windows 7 later.
Score
July 2, 2013 9:52:55 PM

Trying to make people buy their horrible OS that i use everyday and keep finding more and more programs that don't work(and don't come back saying stupid comments like i never had that problem hell i can give a list) And then their underpowered overpriced console and yes i'm comparing that to a PS4. What gets me more mad is people are still wanting it so badly i have no idea why. if someone buys this after all of these issues>Underpowered+Overpriced+stupid requirements + used games issue= Retarded consumer. Not to mention the PS3 had the most exclusives what makes me more sick is i used to hate sony way more now their the only ones doing anything right this time.
Score
July 2, 2013 10:37:50 PM

jdwii said:
Trying to make people buy their horrible OS that i use everyday and keep finding more and more programs that don't work(and don't come back saying stupid comments like i never had that problem hell i can give a list) And then their underpowered overpriced console and yes i'm comparing that to a PS4. What gets me more mad is people are still wanting it so badly i have no idea why. if someone buys this after all of these issues>Underpowered+Overpriced+stupid requirements + used games issue= Retarded consumer. Not to mention the PS3 had the most exclusives what makes me more sick is i used to hate sony way more now their the only ones doing anything right this time.

the only reason i even turn my 360 on anymore is forza 4... i kind of want to play 5, but i can so not buy it just because of the xbone.

Score
July 3, 2013 1:02:34 AM

alidan said:
jdwii said:

the only thing stopping me from chucking mine out the window right now is that 1- it isn't being dropped and 2- "free" games
the only reason i even turn my 360 on anymore is forza 4... i kind of want to play 5, but i can so not buy it just because of the xbone.

Score
July 3, 2013 1:14:49 AM

Makes me laugh MS is making out this is a new idea; SGI was using the tiling
technique about 20 years ago. Infact, I'd be surprised if what MS has done
didn't infringe on some of SGI's patents from back then.

Ian.

Score
July 3, 2013 4:05:06 AM

Don't cry people name me a game that doesn't suppord DX9 now ? decent developers won't go for this they don't want to get returns on their products from people owning vista, 7 or still XP. I can stay on windows 7 till games stop support dx11 I'm not that big fan of minor graphics tweaks. This tweak to DX is mainly to allow xbox to allocacte memory freely between graphics and program data so the devs can push titbit more resolution on the textures
Score
July 3, 2013 4:20:26 AM

Good. Playstation never gets those goodies.
Score
July 3, 2013 4:46:08 AM

So now I HAVE to get windows 8 to run dx 11.2? Go fuck yourselves microsoft, I'm fine with my DX11 and Windows 7. My money is staying in my pocket and maybe you fagsticks will go bankrupt and some actually good people take over. "Motivate gamers to switch to 8.1" Well give it for free if you want us to switch. You made a bad product, we don't want to buy it, and forcing it upon us like this is a dick move microsoft. Pricks.
Score
July 3, 2013 4:46:47 AM

Why did they use a demo that uses 9GB if Xbox One only has 8GB of DDR3?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2013 5:38:03 AM

That "Tiled Resources" tech looks attractive.. but MS just wants Win7 users to feel disenfranchised.
Score
July 3, 2013 6:55:06 AM

@Cryio
I know other browsers are available for XP but I work as a web developer and just about every project we work on (unless for tablet/mobile) we have to support IE8 because many corporate clients as well as regular users still use XP. That means we can't use any new HTML5 or CSS3 features.
Score
July 3, 2013 9:54:55 AM

Exclusive to Windows 8.1? What is with Microsoft bullying their customers? First, all that nonsense with the Xbox One; now they are trying to force gamers to switch to the horrible Metro UI...
Score
July 3, 2013 11:36:32 AM

Sounds like a win for AMD to me. With both new consoles running 8GB of unified memory, this new DX 11.2 "feature" sounds coincidentally tailor made for this setup. In fact, AMD released their support of unified memory in their architecture timeline for PC's to eventually get CPU / GPU shared access to common memory. If I didn't know better, I'd say AMD is quietly on top of their game right now.
Score
!