Sign in with
Your question

i5 2500k or FX 8120 please help advice needed!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • ASrock
  • Motherboards
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2013 9:23:17 PM

So I already have an FX-8120 and an ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ Motherboard

but I after reading reviews people saying the i5 still wins I am not sure if I should sell it and go with the 2500K?

The deal I have for the 2500K is $250 along with a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard. $250 for both of these.

I only plan to do some gaming and mainly web browsing, homework, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio stuff like that.

Is the 8120 sufficient enough for all of these taks or should I really opt for the 2500K with that ASUS Z68 motherboard?

Please help I really need some advice thanks!

More about : 2500k 8120 advice needed

a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 9:32:59 PM

They should both be fine. The i5 is stronger in single-threaded applications, while the FX is better suited to multitasking and multi-threaded applications. Since most applications don't use more than one thread and games usually don't use more than four, the i5 should be great, although the FX isn't a bad CPU either. Both will handle everything you need them to do just fine. I would stick with the FX.

Hope this helps :D 
July 2, 2013 9:36:25 PM

Munchbot said:
They should both be fine. The i5 is stronger in single-threaded applications, while the FX is better suited to multitasking and multi-threaded applications. Since most applications don't use more than one thread and games usually don't use more than four, the i5 should be great, although the FX isn't a bad CPU either. Both will handle everything you need them to do just fine. I would stick with the FX.

Hope this helps :D 

Alright thanks I guess I won't buy the Intel then, it's just $250 for the 2500K and ASUS Z68 V Pro mobo sounded good so I didn't wanna pass on it but I guess I don't need it really.

!