Are those temps ok for a i7-4770k?

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi there,

yeah, it´s another one of those "are my temps ok?" threads. ;)
Sorry about that.

Anyway, I already discussed my problem in another topic, I opened. But my original question back then was somewhat different and I have been adviced to open another one with a more suitable title.

Now, here my problelm. About two weeks ago I decided it´s time for a new rig and this is what came out:
CPU: i7-4770k
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Sabertooth
RAM: 8GB-Kit Corsair Dominator Platinum PC3-17066U CL9-11-10-27
CPU cooler (back then!!): Corsair H100i + 2 x SP120 QE
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX760i

When I finished building it and making sure everything was running as it should (without overclocking anything), I ran Prime 95 and was a bit shocked by the temperatures.
With all the fans running at full speed I would easily hit the 72°C mark.
My old rig was a i5-2500k @ 4,2GHz and was running at only 55/56°C with the same cooler.

I mean, I knew Haswell would get hotter and everything. But 20°C difference is quite something.

I reassembled the H100i to make sure everything was installed fine and looked up some reviews. With the same CPU + cooler configuration, they would usually get around 60°C which got me worried even more.

I looked up some more reviews in which they were using the stock cooler and they would get something around 86°C using Prime or something similar.
I, too, switched to the stock cooler to make sure it wasn´t the H100i. And after 3 minutes I hit 103°C and stopped the test.

I contacted my retailer and they told me to send everything (mobo + CPU + cooler) in to check on it.
Unfortunately, they found nothing. Well, except for a damaged motherboard which kinda happened while packing it. Stupid me.

I told them to keep the CPU and the cooler and they only exchanged the motherboard.
I ordered another i7-4770k from another retailer together with a Kraken x60 and 2 Noctua fans.

After installing everything I would now get around 68°C with Prime running for 15minutes. Which still seems a bit high to me for a Kraken and a non-overclocked 4770k. (On my old rig with a Kraken, I wouldn´t even get over 55°C.)

What do you guys think? Did I maybe miss some hidden setting or something?
And also, how come all those reviewers got such low temps?

Oh yeah, almost forgot: According to Asus AI Suite, all voltages are as they should be.

Sorry for the long text. I wanted you to get the full story. ;)

aredflyingbird

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Haswell CPU's tend to get hot due to the poor IHS contact/heat transfer. Your fine, anything over 85C will be probably lead you to problems. You may of had a bad chip, if your concerned about the temps, (which in real world situations it won't be under load) exchange the CPU or try using a aftermarket thermal paste in order to knock off some degrees.

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I did.

I am...but forgot to mention it.
I am using MX-4.

tomdabomb

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
That seems really hot. Is your h100 pumping?
EDIT: sorry i posted that before i finished reading it. i can't seem to delete it either :/

ihog

Distinguished

Holy crap, it really shouldn't need 1.312V at stock clocks. Unless you just got the absolute worst 4770K on the planet.

ihog

Distinguished

Holy crap, it really shouldn't need 1.312V at stock clocks. Unless you just got the absolute worst 4770K on the planet.

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Go into the bios and set a fixed Vcore of 1.15v

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Now I am feeling stupid.

Looks like I forgot to set the vcore after the exchange of my motherboard. :(
And I am pretty sure I manually set the vcore to 1.13 on the old one. Which would explain why I didn´t really notice the wrong voltage at 1.31. :(

trancefreak64

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Problem with the 4770k and my h100i is definitely the IHS on top of the die. I have temp ofs 33c on my h100i and the CPU is @49-57c while encoding a movie. I am overclocked @4.5GHZ with an adaptive vcore @1.260 VRIN@1.780 to try to reduce heat while the vcore/vid is up but it is the damn heat transfer contact between the cpu and the die does not dissipate correctly without Dlidding. I should of stayed with my 2600k and my ASUS z77. I do notice a performance increase stepping up from the 2600k but was it significant enough to warrant the upgrade to the 4770k. That still need to be determined since I have only had it for 2 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS