Your question

Help with computer freeze

Tags:
  • Games
  • Components
  • Computers
Last response: in Components
July 3, 2013 2:38:28 AM

So I have had this problem for months now. My computer will freeze only while playing games while using skype. We use skype as a group instead of the ingame audio. i can play the same game with no skype and it will be fine. Here is my setup
----------------------------------
Intel i5 2500k
Asus p8p 67LE mobo
asus GTX 560TI
16gig corsair white RAM
Started with 500g western digital drive, but switched corsair GTX 240g SSD (500g is running only as storage now and all programs are on the SSD)
Windows 7 64
---------------------------------
I thought it was a mem at first so I ran memtest and all of it is fine with no errors. Even ran on one stick instead of all 4.

Then I thought it could be an audio conflict with the onboard audio and the Nvidia HD audio drivers. i bought a cheap sound card put it in and disabled the onboard audio. Still will freeze.

i get a hard freeze and only the reset button works. i ran a boot logger to try and catch an error but so far no luck.

Any chance my mobo or video card are going bad?

I have also formatted and put a new harddrive in. Even after a clean install and new DL of everything it still locks up. I even went to an old version of Skype thinking it was the new version, but nope.

Any help would be great because this is got really old 6 months ago.

Thanks

More about : computer freeze

July 3, 2013 1:24:26 PM

Have you tried an alternative program for calling?

And is your CPU overclocked?
July 4, 2013 4:29:15 AM

It is not over clocked and I'm not sure what you mean by calling.
Related resources
July 4, 2013 5:06:22 AM

I mean an alternative for skype, like Windows Live or ICQ.
July 7, 2013 7:45:39 AM

b0w said:
I mean an alternative for skype, like Windows Live or ICQ.

No I have not tried another caller as of yet. Any idea what part of my system is failing? I would rather replace one item than the whole thing.
July 7, 2013 7:56:55 AM

That was a hint for you to try an other program :)  so we could see if it's a hardware or a software issue.
July 14, 2013 1:07:07 AM

So I tried to use Team Speak and the computer still froze like before. i'm frustrated.
July 14, 2013 3:41:28 AM

Ok then it's not a Skype problem. What headset or mic do you use?
July 14, 2013 7:20:34 PM

I am using a logitech USB headset with mic and a Logitech c525 webcam. when I'm not using the headset i use the mic in the camera with my speakers.

Now I just had the whole system freeze up while not using skype or anything else. The only thing this freeze has in common with every other one is that I was running Steam. I can only conclude that my conflict has to do with the steam client. I was not playing any games this time, but I was DL a new game.
July 15, 2013 3:07:19 AM

So when you use Skype without Steam running, it won't freeze?

After that you can first try to reinstall Steam normally.
July 15, 2013 9:40:25 AM

Correct my system is currently running fine with skype. The only common denominator is Steam. Have reinstalled and still freeze. I had even formatted my main drive and then put in a SSD and now use that for my main drive. Still freezes.

frustrated
July 15, 2013 2:23:42 PM

Did you completely reinstall Windows or did you copy your HDD to your SSD?
July 15, 2013 2:49:03 PM

I did a clean install with the full version of windows 7 64bit
July 15, 2013 3:31:49 PM

Try to run Steam as admin or in compatibility mode (Windows XP or Vista).
July 21, 2013 1:17:57 AM

Damn my life. Okay I'm running it as admin and I compatability for XP pack 3 and still freezing while using steam.
July 21, 2013 4:59:48 PM

Damn, but we'll solve it. Do you use any Anti-Virus/Spyware or Firewall software? If yes, try to deactivate them while running Steam.

Besides this, I forgot to ask about one important thing: temperatures. Install SpeedFan if you don't have it and write all the temperatures down here. It has nothing to do with Steam, but maybe it's the problem. You could run Prime95 and watch if your PC freezes, too.
July 21, 2013 11:31:30 PM

I am using Avast basic for my AV and I'm trying to disable it.

I'm running Prime95 ad Speed fan now. My cpu temp was showing 83c and the AUX temp was 57c. I hit it with some air and now my cpu is showing 37c and AUX 57c. I don't know what the AUX temp is for but Speed fan is showing that it is too high. So far no freeze but we shall see. This could have been my fault with a dirty heatsink since the side of my case was off for awhile.
July 21, 2013 11:34:23 PM

Didn't freeze yet but my cpu is running at 83c now. Think I need a new heat sink? I'm using the stock one from the i5 2500k.
July 21, 2013 11:42:23 PM

The strange thing is that I'm looking at the ASUS software for my mobo and it shows the CPU at 33c and speed fan says 84c... ideas?
July 22, 2013 4:53:59 AM

Quote:
Didn't freeze yet but my cpu is running at 83c now. Think I need a new heat sink? I'm using the stock one from the i5 2500k.

Not neccessarily, that temperature is still OK, I'm running my 3570k at 80°C at full system load. You would be more pleased with an other CPU cooler in terms of loudness and temperatures, but I'm sure it wouldn't solve your freezing problem. At least I would recommend you to clean the stock heatsink from dust with canned air and apply new thermal grease (a good one, like Gelid GC-Extreme, which is surely the best non metal grease) if you don't need a new cooler.

Quote:
The strange thing is that I'm looking at the ASUS software for my mobo and it shows the CPU at 33c and speed fan says 84c... ideas?

Speedfan is the most reliable source here, since its measuring method are the bios sensors. I've had a Phenom before and Speedfan was showing about 30°C in idle, while Core Temp was showing 15-18°C, which was below ambient temperature, thus not possible.

Quote:
AUX 57c. I don't know what the AUX temp is for but Speed fan is showing that it is too high.

Don't worry, that's not high, also the flame doesn't mean the temperature is too high, it signalizes the component is under load.

Quote:
I am using Avast basic for my AV and I'm trying to disable it.

Did you run Steam with Avast disabled? I've read Avast can interfere with Steam.
July 26, 2013 12:51:05 AM

Another bust. I have avast turned off and I was playing a steam game and what do you know....it froze again. here is something i didn't put out there before. If I'm playing a game through steam on my own such as Fall Out New Vegas I have no problems. It has not frozen once. The only time it freezes is when I'm playing a steam game online with my buddies. We always use skype, but again it did it while also using team speak. It has only locked up in team fortress 2, borderlands 2 and starcraft 2. It is only while playing multi player with friends.

Also put in a better heat sink and you're right...it is a hell of a lot quieter. temps didn't change much though, but they don't worry me now.

ideas?

Again thanks for all the help so far.

Scott
July 26, 2013 4:37:59 AM

Damn it, that's a tough nut. What about trying an analogue mic, while the USB headset and the webcam are pulled out? If you don't have one, a cheap one for testing will do it.

Quote:
Also put in a better heat sink and you're right...it is a hell of a lot quieter. temps didn't change much though, but they don't worry me now.

ideas?

What heatsink is it and what thermal grease did you use?
July 26, 2013 11:54:44 PM

I'll see if I can get my hands on the stone age mic :) 

i the coolmaster hyper n520 and the pasta you recommended.
July 27, 2013 11:43:00 PM

So I tried waiting through the freeze this time. if I wait long enough the system will unfreeze and Skype is no longer responding. I have not gotten the other mic yet.
July 29, 2013 2:55:08 AM

so i can wait out the freeze. it takes 3-4 minutes and i loose connection to steam an skype. then it takes another min to get back online with everything. skype seems to be a memory hog at 750mb.
July 31, 2013 4:21:09 AM

So it will unfreeze eventually?

What about the mic, did you try it?
August 4, 2013 9:42:18 PM

I have not tried the mic yet, but I did notice that the drivers for my webcam were old. Updated to the latest drivers and so far so good. Two days and no freeze yet.
August 5, 2013 2:27:02 AM

Good to hear. I thought it would be a problem with either the headset or the webcam. If the problem still occurs, report it here, but I hope you won't do it and it'll stay without freezes.
August 6, 2013 8:26:09 PM

I will and thank you for all if your help. If you were in Southern California I'd buy you a beer :) 
!