Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Attempting to build a high-end-ish gaming PC, would like some opinions on the components since I'm a noob

Last response: in Components
Share
July 3, 2013 10:58:18 AM

Ok, so I've been researching a lot on PC parts lately and I came up with this list of what I think could potentially be a good selection of parts:

CPU- either i7 3770k or 4770k(don't think there's much difference, is there?)
GPU- originally planing on getting a Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X but due to recent events I'm now leaning towards a GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming since the price difference is inexistent and there's an overall better quality on the 770
MotherBoard- again was going for a z77 but now probably a Z87-GD65 Gaming(it's even cheaper than my previous selected model)
RAM- Dominator Platinum 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1866 PC3-15000 CL9
Storage- SEAGATE Barracuda 1 TB 7200rpm 64MB 6Gbps ST1000DM003 3,5"
Power- I really need some help here since I really don't know how much this build would consume, I'm guessing about 600-650w would suffice? Corsair CX600 80 PLUS Bronze

Those are all the main components(hopefully) but feel free to give some tips on anything else that might be of importance and please tell me if there's anything I should change or add to this machine, thanks in advance
July 3, 2013 11:06:39 AM

A budget would help us out a lot, also are you in US or?
July 3, 2013 11:46:32 AM

Gathorisx said:
A budget would help us out a lot, also are you in US or?


I am in Portugal and prices may vary from part to part when converted to $, but I'd like to keep my budget under 1500€
Related resources
July 3, 2013 12:18:31 PM

For your storage you also might consider also going with an SSD you don't need something extreme but maybe around 128gb for both your operating system and some choice programs to give you some extra speed... maybe something from the 840 series?
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAMSUNG+840+Pro+Series&...

just a google search since im not sure what sites would ship to you

Also if this is a gaming specific build you really don't even need an i7 for just high level gaming its better to go with like an i5 3570k the i7s are better for other things like video rendering

Lastly you might need a bit more for your PSU I would recommend something around 800w for the safe range but I think you could get along with something in the 700s but im not sure about other factors (fans, optical drives, usb devices)
July 3, 2013 12:54:49 PM

Cole Michaud said:
For your storage you also might consider also going with an SSD you don't need something extreme but maybe around 128gb for both your operating system and some choice programs to give you some extra speed... maybe something from the 840 series?
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAMSUNG+840+Pro+Series&...

just a google search since im not sure what sites would ship to you

Also if this is a gaming specific build you really don't even need an i7 for just high level gaming its better to go with like an i5 3570k the i7s are better for other things like video rendering

Lastly you might need a bit more for your PSU I would recommend something around 800w for the safe range but I think you could get along with something in the 700s but im not sure about other factors (fans, optical drives, usb devices)


SSDs are kinda expensive, is there a real improvement on loading times?
I might do some video stuff...
So at least 700w? I'll have to look into that a little more...
July 3, 2013 2:21:58 PM

Miau Frito said:
Cole Michaud said:
For your storage you also might consider also going with an SSD you don't need something extreme but maybe around 128gb for both your operating system and some choice programs to give you some extra speed... maybe something from the 840 series?
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAMSUNG+840+Pro+Series&...

just a google search since im not sure what sites would ship to you

Also if this is a gaming specific build you really don't even need an i7 for just high level gaming its better to go with like an i5 3570k the i7s are better for other things like video rendering

Lastly you might need a bit more for your PSU I would recommend something around 800w for the safe range but I think you could get along with something in the 700s but im not sure about other factors (fans, optical drives, usb devices)


SSDs are kinda expensive, is there a real improvement on loading times?
I might do some video stuff...
So at least 700w? I'll have to look into that a little more...


If anything SSDs are actually getting cheaper and yes the load times are extremely improved if this is high-end gaming pc that extra boost can really help (overall the 128gb 840 ssd was about 140$ if you switch out the i7s for the i5s you saved about 100$ which can be put towards the ssd overall the price could only be 40$) In fact that very same model is recommend as a tomshardware buy

If you really want to make the wattage yourself they're wattage calculators all over the net
here is one
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

overall with what you listed its about 650w but combine that with any optical drives, fans, and usb devices not to mention if you want to overclock anything and your easily into the 700-800w range so personally to be on the safe side I would go with an 800w psu
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 2:27:45 PM

Miau Frito said:

SSDs are kinda expensive, is there a real improvement on loading times?
I might do some video stuff...
So at least 700w? I'll have to look into that a little more...


On loading times, yes. HUGE difference. However, on actual gameplay, you won't notice a difference between an SSD and a decent HDD.
July 3, 2013 2:47:18 PM

I recently bought a G45 for my gaming rig. Its excellent! So if you wanna save more cash go for the g45 instead of g65.
Also, I don't see why you would buy i7 for gaming? SSD has practically a HUGE impact on the system performance because a pc can only work as fast as the slowest memory allows it, and that's hdd/ssd.
So: Save in mobo and cpu and go for sli and/or ssd.
July 3, 2013 6:48:18 PM

theProbe said:
I recently bought a G45 for my gaming rig. Its excellent! So if you wanna save more cash go for the g45 instead of g65.
Also, I don't see why you would buy i7 for gaming? SSD has practically a HUGE impact on the system performance because a pc can only work as fast as the slowest memory allows it, and that's hdd/ssd.
So: Save in mobo and cpu and go for sli and/or ssd.


It turns out my budget was enormously high for this particular build, I'll get the SSD(and anything else you guys think I should get). And I do plan on recording some stuff for youtube, hence the i7
July 3, 2013 7:20:05 PM

Cole Michaud said:
Miau Frito said:
Cole Michaud said:
For your storage you also might consider also going with an SSD you don't need something extreme but maybe around 128gb for both your operating system and some choice programs to give you some extra speed... maybe something from the 840 series?
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAMSUNG+840+Pro+Series&...

just a google search since im not sure what sites would ship to you

Also if this is a gaming specific build you really don't even need an i7 for just high level gaming its better to go with like an i5 3570k the i7s are better for other things like video rendering

Lastly you might need a bit more for your PSU I would recommend something around 800w for the safe range but I think you could get along with something in the 700s but im not sure about other factors (fans, optical drives, usb devices)


SSDs are kinda expensive, is there a real improvement on loading times?
I might do some video stuff...
So at least 700w? I'll have to look into that a little more...


If anything SSDs are actually getting cheaper and yes the load times are extremely improved if this is high-end gaming pc that extra boost can really help (overall the 128gb 840 ssd was about 140$ if you switch out the i7s for the i5s you saved about 100$ which can be put towards the ssd overall the price could only be 40$) In fact that very same model is recommend as a tomshardware buy

If you really want to make the wattage yourself they're wattage calculators all over the net
here is one
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

overall with what you listed its about 650w but combine that with any optical drives, fans, and usb devices not to mention if you want to overclock anything and your easily into the 700-800w range so personally to be on the safe side I would go with an 800w psu


Thanks for helping me on that, not gonna lie, I would probably have bought a 600w PSU. An 800w one seems to cover everything with some room for error.
About the SSD, the 128GB one should be enough for everything I need, right? Because I found a 250GB one on a 25% discount, is there any point in getting it for the slightly higher price than the 128 one?
!