Random BSOD Crashes Daily On Brand New Computer, Event ID 41 Task Category 63

ChristianR

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Hello, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me troubleshoot this issue. I have spent hours daily for the last ten days since I built this computer. I have installed Countless drivers, and ran countless tests to try and isolate the issue but I'm right back to square one.

I built this computer about 12 days ago on June 21st, 2013 and used fairly high quality parts. The build and OS install went pretty well, nothing really worthy of mentioning happened. My friend who has a lot of tech experience helped me build (He built his computer a few weeks ago). The only thing I have noticed is the cpu cooler will rotate a little bit, but I read that this is normal so it didn’t really concern me. The computer seemed to run great for about 48 hours, and ever since I have been getting these BSOD's every so often. Usually happens once or twice a day. Usually while playing games, but occasionally while idle too. On occasion, the computer won’t even BSOD, it simply freezes in the middle of a game and I will have to force restart. However, after that crash when I go to event viewer the critical log shows as if the computer BSOD. All of my systems settings are at stock, I haven’t overclocked anything, and bios settings are running on default.

Crash dump:
On Wed 7/3/2013 7:01:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070313-8049-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800D9AD028, 0xBE000000, 0x100110A)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Specs:
CPU: Core I7 4770k @ stock
Video: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC Edition (Factory OC’d)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820
MB: ASRock Z87 Pro4
RAM: 16GB Crucial Balistix @ 1600 Mhz
PSU: Seasonic 80+ 850w Modular Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 128GB (Boot drive, and all drivers)
HDD: WD Black 1TB (Most games, and storage)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
The computer is attached to a battery backup: APC BE750G 750 VA 450 Watts Power Saving Back-UPS ES

Diagnostics I have tried:
Updated latest bios from version 1.10 to 1.50 (still having problem on new version), updated graphics drivers to Nvidia 320.49 beta drivers (was also having this issue on 320.18, and the previous version to that), Installed all critical and recommended windows 7 updates. Ran prime 95 for nearly 10 hours overnight, no crash or errors during test, sfc /scannow shows no integrity violatons, windows mem test and memtest86 show no problems with my ram, I ran gpu stress testing that raised the gpu temp from 40-85 in about 30 minutes with no crash (these crashes are happening when all of my temps are good, processor in the 40’s-50’s, and video card in the 50’s-60’s). CPUID shows 1.1 volts to the processor during prime 95 and the processor overclocks itself to 3.7Ghz (voltage seems a little low to me, but it ran prime 95 for nearly 10 hours with no crash).
The only things I can think of that I haven’t tried are: Testing PSU (How would I do this?), no drivers for mouse (MadCatz Rat 7) or SSD are installed, they are currently running as plug and play devices (I wouldn’t think this would cause blue screens though?).

Sorry for the super long post, but I wanted to be thorough, Can anyone think of something else to try? I’m beginning to think that this is a psu, or external power source issue more and more. It seems that I have excluded other issues pretty well. Is there a way that the MB could be causing this? It seems unlikely the CPU, ram, or video card is the culprit as I have pretty thoroughly stress tested those. My best guesses are: driver issue, or power failure, if that is the case, how should I go about solving this? I still have around 20 days to return any parts for RMA if they are faulty, but I can’t seem to pinpoint that any part is faulty… everything seems fine except for these random BSOD’s. Extremely frustrated right now, hopefully someone can help me!

Speerdrager

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hi,
I experienced a similar problem about a year ago: computer running fine for a few months, then random freezes or BSODs and nothing in the eventlog.
Could only reboot after power off (reset wouldn't work).

My solution was to update the firmware of the SSD boot/system drive.
Made sense: the possible event of disk failure could not be written to the failed disk.
Haven't had any bsod or other freezes since (and running 24x7).

Cheers,

Rutger

Tonysolutions1

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
It may surprise you to learn Event ID 41 category 63 is only a system message to tell you your system has crashed.
To find the exact cause you need to go to your Event Log and find the Critical error in the system log and look a few seconds before the critical log and low and behold you will see an error message, this is the true reason your
computer keeps crashing. To prove this look at all your critical error messages, they probably have the same
error code a few seconds before the critical error message appears. Your computer is giving you all the clues
so study. Just in case its Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer - Windows Losg - System.
I have fixed 3 Laptops with this solution 2 were caused by the Virtual Memory not being controlled by the
Computer, this can be located and changed at Control Panel - System - Advanced System settings - Advanced - Performance - Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory - Change - make sure Automatically manage paging file size for each drive is ticked, it worked for me but this is just one of the errors that can cause Event ID 41 Category 63, so study your event log. Good Luck
log and find the true cause of yours.
Good luck and hope that helps

bugcheck 0x124 (0x0
this is the CPU telling windows to do a panic shutdown of the system.

most often it will that the CPU cache memory controller detected a error.
these errors are often overclocking related. IE, bad power, incorrect volatage, clock rates, or overheating.
if you put the memory .dmp file on a server and post a link I might be able to provide more info.

in the debugger the system uptime can be used to see if your system rebooted and your power was not stable. (system up time will be less than 15 seconds) if the system uptime is longer than around 15 mins you most likely have a overheating issue.

the debugger can also check for BIOS overclocking and for overclocking drivers the people don't even know they have running.

Tonysolutions1

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Thanks Johnbl,
Many thanks for your suggestion.
My Laptop has been running a few weeks now without any crashes sinse my fixes.
I believe I also has a voltage Error and I found a solution online. My Laptop Acer 6920
never had crashing problems when running Vista but the trouble started when I
upgraged it to Windows 7. It will be interesting to see what happens when lots of
people upgrade Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10 from the end of next month. I
suppose a wise man would clone his hard drive and install windows 10 on the
clone and if goes badly just swap the hard drives over again.
Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS