Computer shuts down before finishes starting up...

Chkita1978

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
compaq shuts down before starting up. It is a sr5013wm and yes I know it is very old!! It isnt for me it is for my children to play games on. I thought it was the hard drive which by the way is a SATA. but even after changing it the dang thing keeps doing it. The processor fan has been changed too and the side is off so i dont think it has anything to do with over heating. Any idea's??

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
i would go into the bios and up the NBcore voltage by 0.025V and see if this resolves the issue, if not try 0.050V since the computer is old, i wouldnt go any higher than that.

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

defenitly sounds like low voltages, looks like thats an intel system, so im not sure exactly what replaces the NBcore, its the same principles but a different name, let me take a quick look for you!

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
try bumping up vcore, could also be called cpu voltage, core voltage, cpu core, something like that. start with just 0.025V increments untill it boots, max i would go on vcore is +0.125

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
quite unlikely, i havn't heard of that happening, but if you have a graphics card kicking around definitely try it. but i don't think that's the problem. probably some sort of power issue. Are all the power pins connected correctly on the motherboard? make sure everything is tight

Chkita1978

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
ok so checked everything as well as replaced the heatsink compound (there wasnt any left on the processor) and still will shut down when it tried to start windows... bad motherboard??

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

do you have a boot disk? for your windows? try booting from that, and see if it boots ( to setup ) we dont have to reinstall windows yet just check if that works.

Chkita1978

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
And it doesnt matter what disks I use. I can use the recovery disk it does it, or the windows 7 fresh install disk. Either way it does the exact same thing. Begins loading files and gets to the loading windows and then shuts down without any warning. The machine is silent other than the fans which are running normal.

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Hmmm, definitely sounds like not enough power to the cpu. but since you are on a pre assembled machine sometimes you cant change the bios settings. have you made sure that all the power connectors are tight?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Diligence, it won't be under warranty. That computer is REALLY old - most warranties at the most cover 5 years. That thing is from either 2004 to 2005, making it at least 8 years old.

Its probably the power supply. Power supplies degrade over time and lose their efficiency. It's not a guarantee - but say a 500 watt PSU is 80% efficient brand new. Pulling this number out of my ass, in five years that efficiency can degrade to just 60%. Now with that computer I'd say its probably 300 watts or lower. At 60% efficiency its possible the PSU can no longer provide enough juice. It's not hard to replace the PSU in a desktop, just a pain to unplug everything and re-plug it (especially if Compaq did any cable management).

Barring that, it'll be a motherboard issue. At that point, replace the desktop. Retrieve the hard drive though and take the rest to a recycling center.

diligence

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
i would suggest attempting to build your own computer, if you want to give me your country, and the type of build you want i can suggest components, that you can buy. then i will link you to a youtube tutorial of how to build the computer, its not very hard and alot cheaper/ higher quality/ better performance.

Chkita1978

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Try 2007 but yes it is a dino... that is why we have 4 laptops that range 2011 to 2013 but as i said the dino was for my kids and it was sufficient for what they use it for. No the warranty ran out december of 2008. Plugging in wont be a problem for me when the new one gets here just dont want to spend a dime on anything i dont have to with the dang thing.

Chkita1978

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
good at building them suck at diagnosing issues with them that is all
Been looking at a decent little combo on amazon. if I need help will let you know